LegacyGT.com

5EAT: Can anyone stand non-sport mode??

Can any of you 5EAT drivers stand the non-sport mode? It's not so much that it feels slow (even though it does), it just feels like it's bogging out through the entire gear range. I assume the non-sport mode is supposed to deliver better fuel mileage, but it sure doesn't feel like it's running efficiently.

I like the sport mode alot, but does anyone else notice the 2nd to 3rd shift happens too soon, even when you're planning an aggressive acceleration through the first couple of gears?

While I'm on the subject, anyone found a reliable way to conquer the dreaded shift delay in "manual" mode? Why would Subaru build in this delay? Surely, the switch sends the signal to the tranny instantly (or it could if the wanted it to); is this a mechanical delay based on the limits of the tranny to accomplish a gear change?

So far, the best method I've found is to (1)hit the button; then (2) lift off the gas. This (usaully) guarantees a rapid gear change but I'm not sure it's good for the tranny given all the hydraulic stuff going on in there.

I drive in regular mode most all the time. It saves a ton more gas. I have tested both and all sport mode does is hold the gear longer, hence more gas due to spool up.

I use Cruise Control as much as I can too. Right now I am avg. 25.5 MPG on this tank with 97 miles on it. In sport mode that might have been like 23 or worse.

As for the delay.....there is no way to really beat it until some company puts some R&D into making a shift enhancer for the car. Hypertech makes a programmer for the GM cars that will firm up shifts in the AT's significantly. I had this in my 97 Z28 and the shifts were SO hard I could chirp through 3rd gear. All the programmer did was increase the pressure in the lines to the trans. So if someone built one for our AT I am sure it would work kinda the same way.

You shouldn't need to let off the gas. Mechanically our car doesn't need that at all, so it should actually slow you down if you let off the gas while nailing it.

Yeah, I didn't want to bring up the gas mileage issue, but I averaged my mileage today for the first 2,500 miles. It's like 20-point-something. I understand what you're saying about higher rpm = worse mileage. but the motor just feels "happier" in that sweet spot between 2500 and 4000 rpm. In a 45 to 55 mph speed limit area, I get the urge to leave in 4th for the response factor.

On the "lifting" issue, it just seem like there's more of a delay when you're staying on the throttle.

Finally, I know what you mean about the old muscle cars. I had a '73 'cuda with a 340 and a 727 torqueflight and a "shift kit". That car would chirp the old L-60's while it was coasting into gear!

I prefer to think of it as "the precious moments before my gas mileage turns to s@#$."

The cup is clearly half full though. I would love to see Cobb take the shifting situation on. Any tuning shop that makes the claim of taking a wholistic approach to tuning subarus should take a serious look at it. The unit could take the increased punishment you think?

My hand just naturally pulls it into sport mode, even if I am only doing a three point turn and will be putting it in reverse in 20 feet--I still just bang it into sport mode. One of my favorite things to do is to bump it into sport mode while my husband is driving--he hates that!

All of my driving is city driving, and I average about 16 miles to the gallon. I recently did a highway trip, and I am sorry to say that my mileage was not much better--@18 miles per gallon. I guess I should not keep downshifting to fly by slow pokes. I don't mind though because the gas cost is worth the fun of driving like a bad @ss!

When driving in the city, I try my very best to keep it in normal D. I am averaging much better gas mileage that way, but it does feel like I'm driving like a grandpa at times. I just tell myself that I'm cruisin and looking bad ass in it. However, you can always reach over and change it to sport mode when you feel like having fun and change it back afterwards.

If you don't care about gas mileage and feel sporty all the time, I say screw the sluggish normal D. As for the shift delay, just make sure your rpms are in a good boost range and it won't be so bad.

Actually in this blazing hot and nasty weather, I have been using normal mode with the occasional manumatic downshift for passing because initial acceleration seems less boggy than sport mode with the insane heat.

Mostly sport mode or manual when temps are 85 or below.

oddly enough, the trip computer in normal mode told me I got 18.3 miles per gallon. in sport mode, 17.7 (both basically 70% city, 30% NJ highway). the reality of the full tank until the pump shuts off and leave it then use miles/gallons resulted in 17.4 MPG in either mode.

As for the slow sloppy shifts, I believe they too vary with temperature. With the hot weather lately they seem to be taking over a second, definitely different than in cooler weather, but hasn't gotten cool enough again to examine it more closely.

The funny thing is that someone posted an automatic trasmission skift box mod here a month or so ago from a Japanese company and I can't find the thread anymore. It was a little box that got mounted on the console next to the driver seat and created better shifts for the AT in the LGT but I can't find it haha.

i use the normal auto for most mornings when i'm not fully awake. however, i've actually found the manual sport shift the best for keeping the RPM's low to save on fuel. of course, when i want to gun it, it's also a lot more fun. :p
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

They just came out with one for a similar Nissan tranny. I don't think that 'box' was intended or will work with our tranny.

The funny thing is that someone posted an automatic trasmission skift box mod here a month or so ago from a Japanese company and I can't find the thread anymore. It was a little box that got mounted on the console next to the driver seat and created better shifts for the AT in the LGT but I can't find it haha.

Archived