LegacyGT.com

Need some subwoofer help!

Subie13STI2.5GTltd

Okay, so I realize there are a few topics posted regarding the factory OEM subwoofer/amp. However, I am posting on this topic becuase of a special problem I am having. Last week I had my stock speakers replaced with some Alpine 6.5's in the front and rear door powered by a 4 channel amp, and a 12" Alpine sub powered by a seperate 1 channel amp. I also have the factory OEM sub/amp under the drivers seat, which I was hoping to leave in place to continue to enjoy some rather good base in the event that I need to take the Alpine sub out of the trunk for luggage space on a road trip or vacation. Unfortunately the installers informed me that they had to disconnect the factory sub/amp becuase it kept blowing fuses in my car. Has anybody else encountered this problem or are these guys just a bunch of boneheads who don't know how to do proper wiring. Does anyone know if it is going to be possible for me to do what I want in regards to having both the Alpine sub and the OEM sub/amp or is this not possible as these guys said and I must abandon the OEM sub/amp? Let me know what you guys/gals have found to be the case, or if what I am trying to do is possible. Thanks... oh and this is my first post on LegacyGT.com

I took my car to another car audio installer and they not only made the oem sub/amp work, but they pointed out a bunch of other wiring problems with the install the other place did, not to mention the door panels that weren't put back in place completely and the rear seat not being bolted in all the way! So they rewired the entire system, put dynamat behind the door speakers (which the other place was supposed to do but did not... they failed to mention that but charged me for it nevertheless), and it sounds great, looks amazing, and the car is nice and tight again... Sorry man but I won't be selling the OEM sub! Thanks for asking though.

Glad it worked out, was about to tell you the other guys were boneheads. From an audio purist's perspective tho, having that OEM sub in there will really degrade the sound of the aftermarket stuff you just put in - you should DEFINITELY ditch it. It's a 5" subwoofer, as if that's possible. There's a plug on the front of it (reach under the driver's side seat from the front) & unclip it, that'll turn it off. If you have to remove your other "real" sub, just plug the oem back in.

I just started ripping my system out for new stuff and have an OEM sub ready to go - how much money are we talking here?

Yeah, I was thinking about whether the two subs would work against each other or if the OEM sub would spoil the great sound of the Alpine sub, and you are right... it is very easy to unplug the OEM sub when the Alpine is in and plug it back in when the Alpine is out... However, having the car with the Alpine in and the OEM not wired in I have noticed that there is so much between the Alpine sub in the trunk and my ears that the sub can really be hitting hard (not that I need it too as I don't really listen to rap that much) but it doesn't seem to be that loud in the cars interior. Has anybody else noticed this? I mean I can open the trunk (not when I am driving for the smart @sses out there) and the sub is really kicking out the base, but inside the car with the trunk closed it still sounds good, but I guess it seems a bit muffled! None the less it all sounds a 1000 times better than the paper coned stock speakers, and the OEM sub.... I am really glad I got this done... drove home with a giant grin on my face, and I mean the whole way home! I just keep loving this car more and more!

Archived