LegacyGT.com

questions regarding gen 4 LGT (some spec b)

19mystic96

Im a bit of a rookie when it comes to the gen 4 legacy GTs, but I recently got the chance to drive a friends 05 LGT and i was immediately hooked on them. I'm currently in the market for a nice, lightly modded LGT. After researching a bit, I have become very interested in the spec B cars (2007 in particular). I like the added features that come along with the spec Bs. my first choice that my budget would allow will be the 07, but i would get an 06 if the price was right.

Now my questions are as follows.

1. Are these cars, when lightly modded, reliable enough to be DD?

2. With the recent search for a DD, i notice that the turbos could be a common problem with these cars?

3. What should i look for when inspecting one when i look at one for sale?

4. What are the "weak spots" of the cars?

5. I know my moms old 99 outback had a history of overheating and blowing head gaskets. Has this been addressed/fixed with the newer cars?

also, if you guys have any other advice to help me in my search for a fun/reliable GT it would be greatly appreciated.

here are a couple I found that I am interested in.. what do you think?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-07-legacy-spec-b-193389.html

i know its an 06, but

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ft-oh-06-lgt-spec-b-95-stock-194892.html

I bought my 07 SB with 75k on the clock for 17.5k. Reliability starts with how the owners before you took care of their car (ie change the oil/fluids when it needs to be changed and if they tracked the car, drag strip, all highway driving, etc).

When looking at a car make sure you get a car fax and any/all maintenance records. Granted I got the records with my car, and there are still things I was finding out about it months down the road - ie it didn't have the stock map flashed, the secondary air system was removed (not a bad thing and didn't realize because I compared things with my brothers 06 engine bay which does not have the system), endlinks were broken (didn't notice it when I and my dad looked at the car and a few other things.

Don't let this deter you from buying a car. Another thing I would say is take the car to a garage that you trust, or a member on here that knows the ins and outs of the legacy and have them check it over.

• 2 weeks later...

These are reliable car's as is or modded but that's up to how you drive, maintain it and if modded how well or bad the "tune" is.

My oem turbo from an 05 was still good with no shaft play at all at 100k and I know it could of gone til 300k+ but I just wanted more power so it had to go, so there isn't a issue or problem with the turbo but that's all on how it was driven from the previous owner(s)

Only issue with these cars is the rear wheel bearings, so listen for noise or a whine, hum etc and our paint isn't the best but so are every car makers out there

Head gasket's shouldn't be a problem with the 05 and newer year's so no need to worry

Only other advice, if you buy one and it's stock, keep it stock and stay rich

Archived