LegacyGT.com

Loud static when turning on the car

When it happens, how do the radio and HVAC displays look? ...

Everything looks normal. I can switch between radio, aux, cd and if I turn the volume up loud enough I can hear the music through the static. As I've noted before, powering the radio off and back on did not resolve the issue.

Aha. Knowing that (back when I posted in December) would definitely have made me suggest the amp as the prime suspect.

I still have not replaced my amp.. Apparently it's impossible to find one!

The static presented itself while I was on the phone with the radio turned off.

This amp is possessed.

Yes, it sounds like the h/k amp's DSP (digital signal processor) chip has gone flaky.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I don't get notifications despite selecting to be notified when someone posts a response. Sorry for the delay!

In addition to this awful random static, I also notice that once every ten minutes there will be a very very quick fading out and in of music almost as if the amp had a "hiccup." Normally it wouldn't be noticeable...but since I'm listening to music that I have memorized I do notice it.

I was sent a PM with a reference to another post of an unlucky H/K situation.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rfi-noise-hiss-2011-legacy-limited-kenwood-nav-hk-amp-199333.html

Last week when I talked with the parts guy at a Subaru dealership he had quietly mentioned that some of the newer models with H/K amps were having some known issues and at the time he was currently placing an order for a replacement.

As a note for those who have H/K amp issues and are out of warranty, the amp is approximately 600 dollars. They do have an "exchange" program which are refurbished amps and they are approximately 350. Pretty sure this involves sending the defective amp back...(confused)

• 3 years later...

Did anybody find a solution to this? It happened a year or so ago and then went away (I suspected moisture under the seat affecting the connections)... and now it's happened again a few times. At this point we get nothing from the audio system at all... though I'm afraid to turn it on in case the blast happens.

Would love to know if pulling the head unit and/or some miraculously cheap part clears up the problem! Though it sounds like a new head unit is the answer... true?

- Rich

Archived