LegacyGT.com

Should I make fun of my friend?

Should I make fun of him?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make fun of him?

• Yes
    • No

Arbitrarily throwing large wings at a car is a piss poor way to optimize aerodynamics. Period.

There is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to aerodynamics.

An amateur can certainly benefit from aero, but it is a joke to think you can optimize aerodynamics by buying an off the shelf big wing and strapping it on the trunk lid of a civic.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's Irvine, cops will harass him for driving after 10 pm.

I used to get pulled over once a week working the late shift at Blockbuster (I'd get out at 2 am) and drive to my apartment by UCI.

Different cop each time, but yeah it was interesting.

It stopped after about two months, I guess everyone finally realized that the Saturn driving down Culver at 2 am really was just going home and wasn't high/drunk off of substance x.

Is that really the car?

:lol:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How is that even remotely the "right idea"? The best you can give him is that the airfoil is *probably* in clean air.

Otherwise, it's a Pepboys spoiler with too small strakes, and in a location that was clearly arbitrarily chosen (you can see the sheet metal of the trunk lid has distorted under the mounting locations) with absolutely no thought given to the aerodynamic loading that will occur, and the impact that will have on vehicle dynamics.

I'd say that is completely the wrong idea. The right idea would have been sitting down with some text books and figuring out the fundamentals of what you are attempting to do, and then intelligently approach the problem.

How is that even remotely the "right idea"? The best you can give him is that the airfoil is *probably* in clean air.

Right idea = adding downforce

improper execution = almost everything else about it. :lol:

The good:

Yes, it appears to be high enough.

The bad:

Side strakes need to be over twice the size they are now and should be rectangular.

It does not look adjustable and at very shallow angle. Although, being that the front has relatively no aftermarket aero solutions, adding a lot of down force in the back will increase understeer.

The ugly:

Mounted to the trunk lid. I've seen some cars with a setup like this where the wing supports have a structure underneath them to transfer the downward force into the chassis. Also, if he wrecks that wing will tear up that trunk lid and likely become a flying projectile.

Bah, that's not sufficient to say it's the "right idea".

Fools are the ones who think "I'll add more rear downforce!" Then when the car starts to push, they say "I know, I'll fix this by adding more front downforce!"

Eventually the car will stick. But so much is compromized in that approach, there is no way it's an efficient solution. You might turn faster lap times than without, but they will invariably be slower than if the owner had even a fundamental understanding of aerodynamics.

A little downforce in the right places goes a long ways.

There is more wrong with that setup than I care to type. EVERYTHING is wrong about that setup.

If you have to ask on this forum, then you already know it is a bad idea.

There are two possibilities here:

1. He has already been ragged on it by others and he just likes it, sorta like an ugly tie.

2. He already knows it was a big mistake, but the investment, not to mention the ugly holes that will remain if he removes it, and pride, precludes removal.

Wait for him to ask for your opinion, and then be diplomatic.

I voted no:spin:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

People have already given him crap for it, it's his ugly tie at this point, but at least he, unlike most of the people on the street commenting on it is actually out there racing it.

I'm sure after he's paid his dues at work for a bit that he'll be able to upgrade to bigger and better things (cars, hopefully not wings), but for now this is his plaything.

After seeing the picture, I don't disagree. :lol:

But aero IS useful even to grassroots guys when implemented properly.

I don't disagree, but one track day a month is hardly sufficient to implement properly unless you have a strong fluids background. Most hobby-racers fall into the trap I mentioned above.

The first thing you should pick up when considering aerodynamic modifications is a pencil.

why dosnt he make a bracket or something to were he can put the wing on during track racing and take it off during a dd car?

Because then no one would know it was a racecar!

• 1 month later...

Archived