LegacyGT.com

I want to replace the stock radio, so how do I get the bezel off?

simoniz

This is the low grade stock radio set up in my 2010 LGT - can someone tell me how to get the bezel off so that I can take the radio out and toss it in the trash? I can't figure it out at all, and I have replaced plenty of radios in cars and trucks myself over the years, with Crutchfield kits or by figuring it out for myself. This one has me stuck.....TIA.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/KH400Simon/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/Radio2.jpg

Sorry the pic is a bit fuzzy, it was taken on an iPhone, not a real camera.

Well this isn't much help, since I have a 2005 and not a 2010 and the dash is totally different, but fyi, in mine, you need to pull the outer trim before you can get to the bezel itself which is screwed in. In order to get the outer trim off you need to pull some of the shift boot pieces out of the way. I'm sure a 5th genner will chime in here at some point with some real advice, but my best advice is start hunting around for a piece that will pop out, which will reveal some screws which when removed, will allow you to start getting the bezel out. It probably doesn't just pop out though.

Otherwise, search in the walkthroughs or the Audio/Interior forums for more info. Good luck. Welcome to LGT.com.

The vents and the silver parts on either side of the Bluetooth module all come off in one piece... Start at the top between the vents, with a thin screwdriver, no cloth "protection" as it will mark the rubber... Just be careful!

Once the three or four clips are free, you can pull slowly, there's still a bunch of clips.

What I usually do when I don't know, I look up the instructions for a Metra kit for the car :)

Subaru's web site allows you to download the installation instructions for their accessories for free. Many include the procedure to remove and re-install the stock HU (satellite radio receivers, subwoofers, USB "Media Hub" kit, etc.). Find one that covers your model and year. Link:

(select Publication Type "Accessory Installation Guide" and optionally filter by your model/year and/or keyword such as "subwoofer").

More tips here:

Thanks for the input everyone - I'll give that Subaru web site a go first, so thanks SVXdc.

Yes, that's the OEM BlueConnect accessory panel in there - it has paired up with my iPhone 4 with no problems, even with iOS 6.

I got the car direct from the owner of the Subaru dealers in Chattanooga, and he is on the phone 24/7 while he is driving around, so he picked a car off the lot that had this fitted. I am no phone junkie, but it has been useful sometimes...more use than a coin holder or whatever is normally in that space.

Yes, the radio does not have Bluetooth - another reason to ditch it. It truly is awful - fuzzy sound and more suitable to a much cheaper car. The BlueConnect is the only piece in the dash that uses BT, and that is just for smartphones to be used hands free.

Archived