LegacyGT.com

Legacy questions

Ok so I'm looking at a 96 Legacy, It's pretty clean cosmetically, but when I went to check the Oil there was like a drop on the end of the dipstick. Its a auto, has about 140k miles. It still runs ok just kinda scary seeing oil levels like that.

Is this legacy even worth looking at?

Can these engines handle running with low oil?

How much would you pay for it?

-Thanks

It's worth looking at. They can go forever if maintained. It's hard to say how much it is worth without seeing it in person or more information. How much do they want for it? Was the oil light on?

I wouldn't run my engine with low oil. I wonder how long it had been run with low oil. Listen for signs of rod know. If it is a ticking noise it is most likely the valves or HLAs depending on what engine is in your '96. Low oil is probably a sign of an oil leak, but most oil leaks are an easy fix.

Common oil leaks are from the valve covers and the crush washer on the oil plug, either of these can be fixed very easily and cheaply in a matter of minutes. Valve cover oil leaks are easy to spot. Look on the rocker assembly/valve covers where it says '16 Valve' from underneath and look for drips.

Other common sources of leaks are the crank seal, cam seals, camshaft support o-rings (if it has them. I'm assuming you have the 22E engine). These are also simple to replace, however the timing belt has to be removed in order to do so, but if you are doing a new timing belt/pulleys at the same time it's no big deal.

Another source of an oil leak is the rear main seal, or the oil separator plate. Both of these require the engine or trans to be removed to get at them. Indicators of leaking from them would be dripping near the rear of the engine, where it meets the bell housing of the trans. The oil separator plate on the older models is plastic and can crack and leak.

To put the price in perspective, I see second gens sell out here from $1-4000 depending on condition. I paid $1200 for mine, but it was in really bad shape cosmetically and due for timing service. Currently it has 262k and runs fantastic. I put a lot of work into it, painted it, upgraded some things, etc. Good luck. They can be great cars.

Thanks for posting.

Well I have found another subaru and its a great deal. I'm getting it in a week or so. Heres the details:

Year: 1997

Model:Legacy

Transmission: 5spd Manual

Color: Silver

Milage:155,000

Pros:Timing belt was replaced at 110,000 miles, new tires, has original owners manual, has cruise, and still has the OEM casette deck.

Cons: Has leaking valvecovers, a tiny spot of rust on the drivers rear wheel well, and hazy headlamps.

And best of all I'm getting it for the amazing price of only $1,500.

New valve covers from your local auto parts store are $28-33. A headlight clearing kit is about the same. The rust will need to be addressed at some point. $1500 may be a good deal for a 15 year old car. An OEM cassette deck is a pro if you have lots of mixed tapes from high school.

New timing service is about due. Head gaskets are still an issue, but are fun to replace.

Post up some pics so we can see what you are getting.

Well now I got a list of things to do on the Subaru.

Change Oil

Change Transmission gear oil

Change Rear Diff oil

New Spark Plugs & wires

New Air Filter

Flush Brake system

Re Paint wiper arms

Buff headlights

Temp fix the rust to make it through winter

Figure out what is going on with the ABS

That about sums up what needs to be done before we get snow. Im having problems getting the Transmission Dipstick out there are some wires in the way. Can't wait to get this thing on the road. :icon_mrgr

I haven't had the ABS light up on either of my subies, so I can't help you there. Post up a thread about it in the second gen forum and I'm sure you will get some quick, informative responses.

As far as your list, that is a pretty good one. However, I recommend you read this second gen sticky: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

Scroll down to the MPG FAQ section for some more tips. It includes replacing the PCV valve, cleaning the MAF, cleaning the throttle body, etc. If I were you I would also replace the fuel filter.

Archived