LegacyGT.com

Smoke emitting from hoodscoop (98 Legacy Outback)

Hey guys. Recently I went to pick up my sister from school. I went in for about 5 minutes, came back out, sat in the car, and noticed smoke coming from my hood. It was white smoke that was thin/whispy and it wasn't windy out at all, so I don't think it was very much smoke. Anyways, I immediately jumped out and looked under the hood to find nothing smoking. At all. No fluids, nothing looking burnt... Nadda. I drove it home (about half a mile) and popped the hood immediately to see if it was doing it again, but nothing.

The only other time I've had this happen was when my HGs blew and it overheated a lot. (also, there was a ton of smoke from all the coolant). This hasn't been running hot the past couple of days, so I'm sure the HGs are still good. I looked for coolant leaks, looked over the serpentine belts, and looked at the hood scoop itself.

All I've found were some leafs in the scoop, but those burn gray or blackish. Would the hood lining be causing it? Could the bearings in my serpentine assembly be causing it?

On a lightly related note, would it hurt to strip the underside of the hood off? I want to remove the black lining and the hoodscoop piece from underneath. I figured I would just find a cover for when I'm not driving or driving in the rain to go over or plug the hood scoop.

On my to-do list for this is:

- Check the fluids

- Look over the coolant lines/reservoir/radiator

- Clean out the hood scoop

- Look at the serpentine belts

If I can't find the culprit, what should I do?

It's very likely that you have a minor oil leak and it's dripping onto the exhaust manifold and turning to smoke. That is the issue I have with my car. Depends on how hard I've been driving, and for how long, but sometimes when I'm stopped, I can just make out a light bit of white smoke whisping out from the scoop and the grille. Something to consider.

Look on extractors or around back of engine for any burnt up coolant etc

I have a coolant leak that went from the t split from where turbo coolant lines met, dripped onto back of engine, worked its way around the front, down the front and back onto the left middle side of extractors, because of a shitty pretty hose clamp

It's very likely that you have a minor oil leak and it's dripping onto the exhaust manifold and turning to smoke. That is the issue I have with my car. Depends on how hard I've been driving, and for how long, but sometimes when I'm stopped, I can just make out a light bit of white smoke whisping out from the scoop and the grille. Something to consider.

Well since my rebuild I haven't driven it hard at all. I didn;t replace the rod bearings after overheating them, so I NEVER do anything crazy to my engine. I've never taken it past 3500 RPM and rarely pack 3k. Also, it's never consistent. It'll just happen for a few minutes here or there, so I don't think it's an oil leak. I'm gonna check all of my fluids anyway just to make sure.

Look on extractors or around back of engine for any burnt up coolant etc

I have a coolant leak that went from the t split from where turbo coolant lines met, dripped onto back of engine, worked its way around the front, down the front and back onto the left middle side of extractors, because of a shitty pretty hose clamp

What are extractors? My engine is a non-turbo EJ25D. Also, it seems to be holding it's coolant, so I don't think it's leaking. I haven't had to put more in since I rebuilt it about 1200 miles ago.

Archived