LegacyGT.com

Had CV joints replaced, now plate is grinding against rotor, so many questions

sI had both my CJ joints in the front replaced.

I provided the parts and had a shanty little shop do it. Long story short the guy was unqualified to work on my car and I left with the plate behind my rotor grinding up against the rotor's back side, the noise is intermittent as I drive, seems to happen regardless of speed unless above 50 mph.

The tie rod end joint I believe is pushing against it, after arguing with the manager at the place about it he came up with the conclusion that the old CV joint was behind held together by the rotor in a way that when we put a new one in, the suspension is not used to it and now this grinding is happening.

My steering gear boots are completely shot on both sides I believe. If there is any liquid coming from the joint then its bad right? I believe this is also the same piece the rack and pinion is apart of, correct?

If all those parts are bad, and diagnosed as such because fluid is coming from the part and the fact that everything is stock and has 138,000 miles on it now, am I better off buying a whole new steering rack for the front of the car? I found one for $200 online, not sure how much labor would be though.

Any answers to the above questions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance fellow subie owners.

Archived