LegacyGT.com

Resurrection of 1993 L

You're welcome! :)

I missed your question about how to get out the stuck HLAs. I just pulled them out with pliers. They come out pretty easy. I wrapped a rag around them where I could get a bite and yanked them out. I also tried using a gasket puller which looks like a dental pick. It was about $10 from the parts store. It works pretty good too, but it can scratch them, but not the part of them that matters.

Thanks again. I think the Haynes manual said not to use pliers, but I was thinking that it can't matter much as nothing on that HLA crown is contacting anything else except for the very top-center on the valves. And with 240K miles on them, they're pretty stuck. Will try this as soon as I get home from Thanksgiving with cousins. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again for all the tips.

• 7 months later...

I never wrote the happy ending to this story. Changed head bolts, new head gaskets, and bled the HLA's. Put it back together for the second time and ran pretty well. Kept driving it every day, and became a smooth ride. I've been driving the car to work every day for 7 months thanks to MP, others here, youtube, Haynes, HarborFreight, etc.

But then I let a few others borrow it for short trips. The last trip (I found out afterwards) was up to Park City - probably too fast up big mountain roads. Next day I noticed the parking light fell out, but even worse heard a light pinging. I topped off the oil and it became even stronger tapping, somewhere from driver side of engine I think. Had to leave her sitting for 1 month during a vacation. Came back and started her up - even worse knock due to sitting around. Noticed that oil was low again. But no puddling - must have burned off while driving before vacation? So I took her for a test ride to try to smooth things out after the inactivity. Kept noticing new noises, each getting louder. It seemed to still have accel power. Did a 10 minute drive to store. Got back to car 10 minutes later, started up and started drive home. Couple minutes later, on a right hand turn, power steering stopped working permanently, battery and brake lights came on, stayed on for rest of drive. The check engine light came on during the first 10 minute drive - something that has always happened (for last year anyway) after not driving for a while. But I'm guessing there a lot of codes this time. Will check codes when I get a chance.

I think these are the Subaru Gods cursing me for letting others drive my car. Anybody ever have power steering fail coincident with engine problems, and various trouble lights come on?

Last night I was too depressed to even open up the hood out on the dark curb. This morning I looked inside and found the belt was gone from the alternator/power steering. And the crankshaft pulley must have let it slip as it was really loose. So that explains all the problems. Now just have to pull off things to figure out why the pulley has so much play. I can't believe I lost a belt while driving!

Archived