LegacyGT.com

96 GT with torque lag & converter code

I just got the tranny flushed on my 96 legacy gt and it fixed some issues with the transmission but now that its performing better ive noticed that sometimes the transmission will 'lag' allowing the engine to achieve high RPM's around 30-40 MPH but it doesn't appear to improve performance that noticeably, as if the extra power generated from the engine is not being captured or is being lost somewhere in the car.

its a really minor thing, more of a small quirk, ive owned the car a year now and can tell the previous owner(s) was not shy with the gas pedal. i just dont know if its a symptom of a failing transmission or what.

also when i took the car in, they pulled the code on my engine light and the manager said it was probably a failing catalytic converter and would be expensive to fix, that i had more important work that needed to be done.

however he also said it would require more testing to be sure what was causing the check engine light.

can anyone estimate how much it would cost to replace the converter or what else could have caused the light to come on?

it has 193k miles, runs good, but also has a leaky water pump and is leaking oil from the 'rear engine separator plate' :p

i also put new covers on the front panels, got a new stereo, new tries, brakes, hoping to preserve it when i can sell it.

Archived