LegacyGT.com

Check engine on and cruise light flashing

Lou1417

This has been happening frequently. The check engine light comes on and the cruise control light flashes. Car loses power gas pedal doesn't work. Pretty scary on the highway. I disconnected the battery and pumped the brakes to bleed any stored energy. Replaced the gas cap and got a full tank. All was good. Until I got to about a half tank. The same problem happened again. If its not the gas cap making the evap test fail what else could it be? Some one please help

This has been happening frequently. The check engine light comes on and the cruise control light flashes. Car loses power gas pedal doesn't work. Pretty scary on the highway. I disconnected the battery and pumped the brakes to bleed any stored energy. Replaced the gas cap and got a full tank. All was good. Until I got to about a half tank. The same problem happened again. If its not the gas cap making the evap test fail what else could it be? Some one please help

Evap code would to cause a flashing cel, generally a flashing cel is due to a misfire. I would get the code pulled and go from there.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 weeks later...
Changed throttle position sensor cleared code all was fine for a week or 2. Cel back on pulled code again came back throttle position sensor again and intake manifold runner position sensor in bank 2. Any know where intake sensor is located. Is the new throttle sensor defective?

• 2 weeks later...
I just had this problem happen to me tonight on the way home from work. Just bought the car less then a month ago and already replaced the rear right speed sensor. Im going to have to take this car BACK to the dealer tomorrow....i bought a subaru because i heard they were reliable now i am second guessing my choice. I might just throw the keys back at them and walk away, so frusterated. I will keep you posted on what i find out tmw.

My wife called today when the CEL came on w/ the flashing cruise. Had her take it by autozone to pull the code and it came back P0171 (too lean). Nothing seems out of sorts with the car, just the CEL and cruise. I'm thinking MAF sensor. Anyone been here before? Anyone know where I can get a sensor?

BTW: probable cause from the code check came back as follows

Faulty MAF

Large Vac Leak

Low Fuel Pressure

Plugged Injector or Cylinder Misfire

Again, no noticeable problems when driving, fuel mileage seems fine.

I just had this problem happen to me tonight on the way home from work. Just bought the car less then a month ago and already replaced the rear right speed sensor. Im going to have to take this car BACK to the dealer tomorrow....i bought a subaru because i heard they were reliable now i am second guessing my choice. I might just throw the keys back at them and walk away, so frusterated. I will keep you posted on what i find out tmw.

They are good cars. We have a drive by wire system which means no cable from pedal to throttle body. So if one sensor is bad it will throw everything off. Get the code pulled so you know what the problem is. Try to unplug and reconnect the sensor on top of the gas pedal assembly. That might fix your problem. Tps under hood is easy to replace if you need to

My wife called today when the CEL came on w/ the flashing cruise. Had her take it by autozone to pull the code and it came back P0171 (too lean). Nothing seems out of sorts with the car, just the CEL and cruise. I'm thinking MAF sensor. Anyone been here before? Anyone know where I can get a sensor?

BTW: probable cause from the code check came back as follows

Faulty MAF

Large Vac Leak

Low Fuel Pressure

Plugged Injector or Cylinder Misfire

Again, no noticeable problems when driving, fuel mileage seems fine.

Maf sensor is a real easy fix

Ok, so I know all of this earth has been plowed many times before, but...Fuel filter is impossible to get to and probably should never be touched. I believe I have my problem fixed. I cleaned the injectors (pretty easy to get to) and changed spark plugs (3 of 4 easy to get to). I ran it about 20 miles an no more CEL/cruise, but we'll see. My guess is if the problem returns it's got to be the MAF since I have no noticeable loss of performance. And yes MAF is simple as well, two screws sitting in a spot where if it were a snake it'd bite ya.

Archived