LegacyGT.com

Installed speakers, now they all sound distorted?

monkeyposeur

Yesterday I was at the junkyard looking for parts and I found some decent speakers: two Pioneer coaxials, and two Bose rear fills, both 6.5". I installed them in the '93 SS last night and they sounded great!

This morning my wife took the car to work and hooked up her ipod. She said that is blasted really loud (the volume on her ipds must have been up a lot more than my iphone which I was using to test the speakers). Now all four speakers sound distorted or blown. :(

They are wired to a Sony Xplod HU (crap, I know). I also have two 12" subs in the trunk with a Sony Xplod 1500 watt amp. There are also two Subaru factory OEM tweeters mounted in the front by the mirror.

Any ideas? Did the whole system get fried possibly? What should I check? Thanks.

Fixed it! :)

I had a spare speaker so I hooked that up and it sounded distorted just like the others so I figured the speakers didn't blow. I checked the ground from the battery, good; I checked the fuse going from the battery to the amp, also good; I checked the radio fuse in the fusebox, also good.

So I pulled the HU and pulled the fuse. It looked fine. I swapped in a newish 10 amp fuse and turned the stereo on. Everything was back to normal, sounding great. Out of curiosity I put the original fuse back in, everything still sounded great. I then put the other fuse back in just to be safe.

It's strange though, why would pulling out a fuse and then putting it back in make everything go back to normal? Did the HU have to reset or something?

Archived