LegacyGT.com

What's the advantage of inverted struts over regular ones?

Saul_Good

Hello,

Well, I "only" have 25k miles on my '05 STi, so I'm sure there's still more for me to learn about the car, but... stiction? Nah...

As for the complaint about the rear shocks... is that the clicking sound issue? Yeah, that's just dumb. I thought I had solved the problem and then the sound came back. But it seems to be a seal problem or something? Lubing the tube solves the problem! Even though, as we all know, an inverted strut means when you lube the body, you're lubing only the outer two pipes! There's nothing special going on there!

And once you remove the strut, there's no more clicky.

I wonder how Subaru will resolve this... it's probably going to take a strut redesign or a tightening of tolerances.

Joel

Call the noise whatever you want, depending on your particular amount of "noise" it can be a big deal. I know 2 owners with 05 STI's that have had the rear struts FAIL and fall apart twice in 6k miles. No one should have to put up with that crap. My "noise" was not a "click", more like a hammering bang -- very loud, very annoying and unacceptable in a car with 9k miles.

The only real "fix" for this is aftermarket coilovers. Been there, did that.

My Evo is a Lexus compared to my former, not missed, STI. Obviously I like Subarus, I bought an LGT after I dumped the STI :cool: .

If you read this forum and a few others, it will surprise you how many LGT owners dumped their STI's. I have lots of company :lol: .

The Evo is the superior car, I've had both, there is no doubt.:D

Randall

Hello,

Randall, no doubt the EVO is a great car... I just couldn't see myself buying a car from a company that may not survive the next couple years :)

As for the fix being the aftermarket, I guess I've never encountered an unexplainable problem on a car. There's ALWAYS a reason for a problem. Once the problem is figured out, the solution is usually not too far behind.

That said, mine knock pretty loudly. You're right, "click" is too nice a word. I took my suspension apart and put it back together and it was quite. Now it's back, so I'm going to try the LPS2 solution. Meanwhile, my dealer has extra struts waiting for me, "if can't figure out the real solution." :)

I actually don't care that much for my STi. I like the OXT much better :)

Joel Gat

Crew Chief

Sheehan Motor Racing

Well Joel,

I'm no engineering genius :lol: . I agree with you, there is always an answer to these things. My main beef is that Subaru doesn't show much interest in fixing the problem :confused: . Some dealers will replace strut after strut, others won't, especially if you have any other "modifications" on your STI. This has been going on for 2 model years :rolleyes: , it's not like they haven't had time to address the issue.

I have worked for a Japanese company, Konica Minolta, for 10 years. They are like Mitsubishi in that there are many different divisions offering a range of different products and services. The main conglomerate of banks backing Mitsubishi will do whatever it takes to keep them afloat. They already are. I'm not worried about Mitsubishi being around. After all, DSM has been history for several years and there are still plenty of them around ;) . And tons of parts for them as well.

I'm not surprised that you aren't that crazy about your STI. My Evo is not a daily driver, it's more of a track (road course) car. I am fortunate to have 3 other vehicles to drive. The LGT is a daily driver, and I appreciate it as such.:D

Randall Brewer

Senior Technical Representative

Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging

Hello,

Heh... you, too? Although I go through cars slower than some of my friends, my girlfriend and I have the STi, OXT, '99 Miata, and '96 Maita between us. In our recent history of cars, there was also a Celica GTS, a Mustang GT, etc. Gary (Sheehan) and I are converting the Miatas into Spec Miatas (as well as a '91 and another '96) to do track duties and finally get my butt behind the seat of a racecar. And I'm also working on an '05 Mustang GT project - the main point of that one is the soon to be daily driven twin T3/T4 57-trim turbo setup. Currently, on the engine dyno, the stock motor with turbos is putting out over 600 hp and only about 10 psi of boost. :D

Subaru has been working on the problem. I have been forwarding my comments to the appropriate engineers at SoA as I delve into the problem on my car. One thing I was surprised to learn is that they had not brought a car in to see the problem in existence on a car. They kept bringing in shocks and stuff, and never had a chance to look at everything at once. I believe that was rectified just recently, so hopefully they come up with at least a TSB soon...

Also, since the STi is not the only car (though I do put a boatload of miles on it, including about 3000 or so of off-road miles :D :D), I don't mind having these issues too much. If I modded the car, I'm sure I would have other issues (all modded cars have _some_ issues...

And of course, the problem is Subarus, not the "inverted strut" as a design. The inverted strut is just fine. Subaru's inverted strut may not be... (keeping on subject :p)

Joel

Archived