LegacyGT.com

GT wheel weight?

gtguy

I'm wondering about the weight of the stock Legacy GT wheel. I know that with the stock RE92, the wheel/tire combo comes in at 42 lbs. But does anyone know for sure the weight of the stock wheel? It could be light, and would benefit from the addition of a light tire, such as the Dunlop SP9000s. Kevin

Well what I can gather from the Bridgestone site (which I might add isn't the most up to date) you have to go through some legwork to make an educated guess (yes, an oxymoron.) I had to take another tire size for comparison (215/60R-16) which I have come to the realization, the new RE92A gained some fat over the old RE92. In that other size, the old RE92 was 24lbs, the RE92A version, it's 25lbs. The 215/45R-17 size on the new GT comes in at 23lbs according to the older RE92 size (the RE92A doesn't record measurements yet.) So I think we can assume it's about 24lbs/tire. That would suggest the GT wheels are around 18lbs per, not light, but there are definitely heavier. Fairly decent for a strong cast design. I say strong because most people have a fairly difficult time bengine OE Subaru wheels, but if you try hard enough, you can do it. :)

[url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1139[/url] I also weighed the stock wheel / tire at 42 lbs. Rota + Kuhmo MX was 36 lbs. Kuhmo lists a 215/45/17 MX tire at 20 lbs which puts the Rotas at 16 lbs (I believe the Rotas are 17 lbs so my bathroom scale might be off a bit). They are one of the lighter 17" wheels available. So, if in fact the RE92s are 24 lbs (heavy) and the stock wheels are 18 lbs (light for OEM) then Subaru has done an excellent job with the stock wheel. FWIW, I like the stock wheels and the Rotas will do winter duty. Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Archived