LegacyGT.com

Noise from Legacy BG Muffler

About two months ago I bought my first Subaru - a Legacy LX '94 AWD. Before I bought the car I noticed a kind of 'sporty' noise at full throttle. I first thought it was caused by a small hole of 1.5mm in diameter in the muffler. However, after I've sealed the little hole there was no difference in noise. A further inspection revealed that when I 'shook' the muffler (while it was still attached to the car) it sounded if there was something inside loose. I think it's actually something quite big because I had to shake it vigorously.

Furthermore, I noticed that someone has re-welded the muffler and the tailpipe - I suppose that was due to a leak but I'm starting to wonder if it might had to do with something different than that.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot/fix this or what might be causing this noise. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by a "sporty" noise? It wouldn't happen to be that whistling noise that a lot of them develop at over 3,000 RPM under heavy throttle, would it?
It sounds a bit like the cars from boyracers, dragcars I think they are called. Difficult to describe, bit of a grunty sound I would say. The noise is the worst between 2000-2500RPM and it's most noticeable under heavy load (accelerating/climbing). However, after I (safely) lifted the car on several places and asked my girlfriend to run the engine at 2000-2500RPM I crawled under the car and listed to the noises from the exhaust. Even under zero load the muffler makes more noise than it's meant to be. It's definitely not a whistling noise, which is indeed slightly noticeable at ~3000RPM but I regarded that as normal.

A whistling/shrieking noise (some people said it sounds like a turbo, though I don't think so) is an issue that a lot of these cars develop after a while. It's the result of some sort of internal blockage that forms in the baffles of the muffler. I just replaced my muffler because of this and it solved the problem.

It doesn't sound like this is your issue though. Would it be possible for you to maybe get under your car and film it or something for us to hear what it sounds like at different points under the car? That would probably be the best way for us to help you.

I've made an audio recording below the the engine

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rusq199dm6pw26/front_of_car.mp3

And well as below the muffler.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b19p2gl9pa5mpd3/below_muffler.mp3

I slowly raised the throttle - without throttle to 1000rpm and up to 3000rpm in steps of 500rpm.

You can hear it all the time although it is really noticeable from 35sec and from 44sec its even more obvious.

The sound quality isn't as good as I wanted it to be but nevertheless I hope you can hear what I mean. My girlfriend, by the way, thinks the sound's more like a rattle.

Thanks for listening :-)

By the way, a friend of mine said just after I bought the car that I had a descent turbo (due to the exhaust noise) but I don't think it sounds like a turbo.

they is very interesting. id say your muffler may have some rattleing metal. my sable just had this happen to it.

Is there any way I would be able to get that out of the exhaust? Given the design of the muffler it's not very likely is it? And do you think that the rattling metal is the cause of the noise or is it more likely that it's due to the fact that some part broke of the inside of the muffler and the noise reducing effect of the muffler is now (partly) gone.

Archived