LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light won't go away

I replaced my vapor canister purge valve solenoid and the Check Engine Light still won't go away. I spoke to my local dealer and they said that the disconnect battery method works only on "soft codes". "hard codes" need a scan tool to reset. Are they telling me the truth?

• 4 weeks later...
no the dealer is not being accurate with you. a soft code happens after a peticular sensor fails to operate in its specified time after completing the "drive cycle" which is a test the computer (ecu) makes while driving. a hard code is when the check engine light comes on right when the car is started, like if you unplugged the coolant temp. sensor and then started the car. the ecu would pick up that it is not recieving and voltage signal from the sensor it is looking for. sounds like you have an evap. problem. do you have a Subaru gas cap on the vehicle? if yes does it click at least 3 times when you tighten it? If it does, how does the rubber sealing o-ring look? if it is cracked or dry rotted replace it. you should always use a subaru cap.

Do you know the original code set? It could be that another code is now being set for some reason.. You should always pull the code when you get a check engine light to see what the problem is.. Also, most OBD scanners can do hard code resets.

Archived