LegacyGT.com

Car stalled while driving

So I was on my way home from work tonight, and my car stalled while turning. No warning lights or any other issues with the car. I had driven an hour on the highway (about 65mph bc the boss was following me) with no issues prior to the hour and a half long meeting. I left, car started fine and drove about 1/2mile out of the office complex and when I went to pull out from the traffic light it just shut off. It would start right back up but than immediately sputter off. The car is a hair over 71,000 miles. I think it is too soon for a timing belt. Maybe a fuel pump/line issue? :confused:

Anyone have any thoughts? It is at some random garage AAA towed it to since there were no close Subaru dealers, so we'll see what shenanigans they come up with tomorrow.

Happened a couple times for me too... Months between each time. Every time, no warning, no check engine light, engine just shuts off!

Then I started it back up and it ran fine for months.

I thought any busted or dying sensors would throw a code...

So the diagnosis was that the original battery (5-1/2 years old at this point) was wearing and giving low outputs and was throwing off the computerized throttle mechanism. The "flap" in the mechanism was also dirty. Combination of the two caused the engine to basically starve itself of fuel. I am not sure if I 100% buy it, but after a new battery and cleaning this mechanism, it is running fine. <knock on wood>

Archived