LegacyGT.com

Radio Static

motion_157

Is anybody else experiencing radio static? It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough to be noticeable while driving, and sometimes annoying. The station doesn't get locked on, and once in a while static will jump in ever so quietly..it's almost like the station is being lost as if you were an hour outside of the city. This happens on all stations. I have no problems with the cd player, it works fine. Perhaps I need something that will boost the strength of the antenna on the car?

the antenna already has a booster, it needs to because it is inside the rear glass. If it didn't have a booster, reception would be horrible.

Do you have any tints on the windows? Any kind of tint with metal in it will certain give you some headaches. Otherwise, maybe the signal isn't being boosted properly. Are these stations which should be coming in strong? Each radio is going to be slightly different in its sensitivity to stations. I noticed right after i got my car that my aftermarket radio in the previous car seemed to be stronger. I wasn't getting some stations as well as i would have with a different radio, but certainly stations which were close by and i knew should be strong, were.

Ya, these stations should be coming in strong. It's the kind of static you get once you head out of the city and you're just at the early stages of losing the station. It goes in and out of this..it can be really clear, then out of nowhere it'll become staticy. Seeing as how I'm driving in the city, I shouldn't have this problem. I can expect to have these static problems downtown where there are tall buildings, but it doesn't seem to matter where in the city I am. I'll get the dealership to take a look at it..it's not a big deal at the moment since I've only had the car for a week and I don't want to put it into the shop yet...I want to have some fun ;)

i think the reception just sucks the way the antenna is setup in this car, I always hear static in the station even with an alpine headunit. On top of that I have 2 amps in my car now so i almost always hear it, but atleast it sounds good! I'm sure there are solutions you can throw at it if you feel like spending money, but the way it is just doesn't cut it.

do you have a rear mounted sub amp........ if so what model? and did your static start after it was installed!!!

there is a problem with class D ampplifiers especially JL 250/1 500/1 1000/1 in cars with rear glass antennas

i just put my sub in last week and noticed bad reception instantly

it gets better when i open my rear gate and is perfect when i pull the fuse to the amp!!!!!!

luckily i have an mp3 stock radio or i would really go nuts!!!!

James

You can easily get static on any audio install, typically amps, if you don't route the wires correctly. Some applications are worse than others, but typical rule of thumb is to keep the RCA's separate from the power and usually the remote turn on wire as well.

• 4 years later...
Metallic tint can cause reception issues if it is applied to the rear window. The non-metallic tints have come a long way in the last 10 years at resisting color change and fading.
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

It's only a problem if it is of the metallic film variety. If you got it done somewhere, check the invoice to see what type they installed. Most tint shops will dissuade you from putting metallic film over a window embedded antenna, but if you bought the car with the tints on it, it's possible the previous owner did it themself.

If you trully have a metallic film tint on there and the concentration of metallic material is high enough that it is attenuating/scrambling the signal, no amount of amplification will help you, you will have to swap out the tint.

One way to check would be to use a battery powered FM modulator on an ipod or something set to a vacant station and move it around the car. If you have a significant drop-off while you have line of sight from the transmitter to the antenna (meaning not from outside the C-pillar, below the trunk deck, or over the roof) it's likely you have problems coming from the tint.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Archived