LegacyGT.com

What is your gas mileage?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my 2k Legacy Outback Wagon for about three months now. Current ODO=220k. My first 1400 miles have yielded 18.3mpg overall. Mainly short 5-10 mile trips to work, & around town. Nothing Hwy yet to speak of. Needs a bunch of basic maintenance, (oil change, fuel filter, brakes, seeping oil clean-up, lube, AC charge, etc.). Engine is tight & I just can't seem to help myself and love to wind it up to about 5k-6k on acceleration. Seems like the power band starts in earnest at about 2700-3000rpm.

• 1 month later...

I don't know the mpg but my car averages 250 to a tank roughly. I don't do much city driving but it's not highway either. My drive to work is roughly 10 miles and the first 8 is done at a constant 40 mph. I don't stop until I get to town and I only have 2 miles after that. I also have a bad O2 sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sara32013

I'm getting 300+ miles to a tank consistently

Shortly after I got my Subaru I took it on a long drive, the next couple of weeks I was getting around 350 miles to a tank and it slowly declined to where it is now. My car loves long trips lol. I will say mine it auto where yours is standard and I believe that helps a lot. I once had a '91 Explorer auto. I was getting almost 200 miles to a tank in that thing but I eventually bought a '94 Explorer 5 speed and it was getting over 300 miles to a tank... what a difference.

Edited by Sara32013

Just got back from a California road trip with my wife in our '04 3.0 sedan. Averaged 25mpg at 70mph+ through 5 tanks of gas. Probably been better if I hadn't been rallying through the mountains after I got off of the interstate:rolleyes:

Oh, but that is what makes those mountain drives so much fun!:icon_bigg

After another 6 weeks and following the advice of keeping the acceleration smooth & under 2500rpm when possible my avg has increased 10% to 20.1mpg. Still haven't gotten her out on the hwy for any length of drive yet and still need to perform the maintenance. (See 9/18/16 post)

I use regular (87) fuel here in CA. The higher octane fuel (89&91) is to prevent premature detonation (ping & knock) typically in higher compression and performance engines. As far as Ethanol blend goes... that's a whole different story. Ethanol has less energy per unit volume than straight gasoline which results in less work for a given volume (i.e. per gallon). That means it won't take you as far and leads to fewer miles per gal (or km/L). More significant than all that, however, are the effects of your driving habits.

Edited by k54frog
add more info

I used to get + or - 22mpg with city/highway mixed, but now since I've moved I'm driving 3/4 city and 1/4 highway and I'm getting around 18.5mpg. Might be time to swap out my air filter/clean out the air box and maybe change my fuel filter. Also getting a custom exhaust made with everything deleted behind the cat (minus a custom muffler) so maybe that will help marginally as well.

Getting around 18.8 with 3/4 city 1/4 highway now. Haven't changed anything yet.

Edit: 19.1 on this tank with the same mix of city/highway mentioned.

Edited by Jacobpockros

the butt dyno says yes they do.

Since i installed them i hadnt seen a major uptick in the mix commuting mileage (LA FREEWAY/SURFACE STREETS daily of about 50 miles) but looking at the sheet, it looks like i dip less into the high 17s low 18 mpgs as much since installing and have more 21/20 mpg tanks.

note i also rebuilt the front end two weeks after installing the uels, bearings, bushings, tierods, cv's at the same time so not a solid baseline.

plus the center 1:1 rear idler gears bearing exploded back at the start of june and i havent had time to source a new transmission/center diff set to replace it so there isnt a ton of data.

the butt dyno says yes they do.

Since i installed them i hadnt seen a major uptick in the mix commuting mileage (LA FREEWAY/SURFACE STREETS daily of about 50 miles) but looking at the sheet, it looks like i dip less into the high 17s low 18 mpgs as much since installing and have more 21/20 mpg tanks.

note i also rebuilt the front end two weeks after installing the uels, bearings, bushings, tierods, cv's at the same time so not a solid baseline.

plus the center 1:1 rear idler gears bearing exploded back at the start of june and i havent had time to source a new transmission/center diff set to replace it so there isnt a ton of data.

Rebuilt front end might be making more of a difference than the uel's. Hard to say. From what I've read we can lose a bit of hp/tq with uel's and I'm wondering if that means we can get better mpg from them. However, if they restrict flow it's possible it can negate it as well. Maybe they make no difference at all. I'd like to get 20mpg for my current driving routes. If I can figure out how to get there from 19.1mpg (continuing to drive without using highway 50% of the time), I'll be content.

Edited by Jacobpockros

i agree why i mentioned it, i know all new bearings roll with less drag than the ones they replaced, plus i have an L which has the 3.90 ring and pinon in it as opposed to the 4.11's i at 70 it turns just at 3k.

What is the tire size on the L model? I heard the tires are smaller and compensate for the change in Final Drive. My GT is at 3k at 70mph as well.

factory tire size was 195/60R15, but i put 215/60R15s on, it rides way better on the freeway.

What year is your legacy? The tag on my 2000 L model says 215/60/15. When I got it it had 195s on it but I too am running 215s

• 2 months later...
Been disappointed with my average lately. It's been a consistent 19.2X with my new 2.25" catback. Seems like a possible improvement though as I used to average high 18's. Could be other factors though such as weather, don't know. I had 277 miles on trip when I filled up and I needed 288 miles to be at 20mpg, my eventual goal for average mpg. I still need to clean out my air box/replace filter and build my Ganzflow setup for it (have everything pieced together already). Might also see an increase when I possibly add a lightweight pulley in the following months. It's also been 53 degrees here so I don't know if that's helping either.