LegacyGT.com

'93 SS been sitting awhile

It could be the HLAs. Here is a video of my 22T after I replaced the HGs, seals, timing, etc. I didn't know what the sound was at first and I feared the worst. But it turned out to be a collapsed HLA on the driver's side, which was an easy fix.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckpQAChYs0]Initial startup of 93 Subaru SS w/EJ22T after rebuild. - YouTube[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I tried to start it this morning. Got a high pitched screeching noise but no cranking. I tried again a few minutes later and it started but ran like crap and died a few times. I started it again after a few more minutes and it runs like normal. I'm assuming the running like crap is probably old gas/dirty injectors, but I'm not sure about the high pitched starter noise.

I've also been getting some persistent clicking noises when I turn the key on and for a few seconds after I turn the car off. I might just put a new starter in there for piece of mind, but I don't want to throw money away...

That does not sound good.

Do a compression test.

It goes away after about 5 minutes. Also, the engine temp gauge doesnt work but the heater works fine. I'm guessing coolant temp sensor. I'm getting it inspected by the state tomorrow, then an emissions test. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully it is just an HLA. Pretty easy to get at and replace. A new one is about $6-8. You could check the yards for older leggys and pull a bunch of them off for next to nothing too. How does the sound compare to the video I posted a few pages back?

After almost a year my SS is running just about like it should. They can be frustrating. But I know a lot more about Subarus now, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived