LegacyGT.com

concern w new car

This is a great thread. OP, here is what I found helped me. Your car has 69k miles, and mine was right at 60k miles when I bought mine. Change the spark plugs, that could very well be the culprit. I had jerkiness, and what seemed like hesitation if I was in 2nd at 20 mph and floored it. I also had it if I slowly let the clutch out in first and then went full throttle. It would start, seem to hiccup, and finally as it got going it would get better. If I just flat out flogged it, it wouldn't be so bad. I changed my plugs (which I planned to do anyway just didn't get to it immediately as I bought the car) and it's much better.

The second thing I did was use seafoam to break up some carbon build up and put some in my gas tank (1/3 can goes through induction and 2/3 in the gas tank). This has helped to further smooth out the idle and drive.

Still, even after all of that, when I floor it and it builds boost it seems to have that one dead spot. It's much, much better than before, but still has it and now I see that the factory tune can be the culprit for that. At least now it's much smoother. I guess this is because of the stock tune issue??? I'll be stage 2.5 in a few months so hopefully the tune takes care of it.

I would have the dealership change those plugs, it's pretty critical on turbo cars to have good plugs. I plan on changing mine every 45k.

+1^^^^

Would a clogged cat be a possibility?

Hopefully its as simple as that, thanks for your input. Like i said the dealer i got the car from is takimg it to subaru on monday,i would think they would change the plugs and check other things as well. Since subaru didnt sell me the car, they have nothing to lose by putting time,money,and new parts into her until she runs like normal right?

You would think Subaru would do all of that, but you can never be sure! I would try and make sure the plugs are changed too so it gets done. With the previous owner trading in the car with the issues it has, I would highly doubt they did the 60k service and changed the plugs.

This is just a thought, to me these are the most important things in car ownership and that is proper service/maintenance. If you end up buying this car it would probably be a good idea to also change the oil, diff fluid (front and rear), trans fluid (I believe this one was shared with the steering), brake fluid flush (I believe this one is shared with the clutch), both drive belts, air filter, and the banjo bolt with filter (only $15 at Subaru). That was what I wound up doing, I bought the drive belts, coolant, oil filter, banjo bolt, air filter, and trans fluid at Subaru. Diff fluid I used Castrol 'axle limited slip 80w-90', and engine oil Castrol 0w-30 (we'll see how it takes to that engine oil), and ATF super blue brake fluid since I'm doing brakes, rotors, stainless lines, and GS brace. I'm also going to get the cabin air filter done at Subaru, got a coupong for $89 in the mail the other day. It's a huge pain to do, so for myself it's worth having them do it. Finally, you could use seafoam to clear up the car, see if it will smooth it out. IF you decide to also use it in the oil system, it's very important not to drive more than 100 miles before changing the oil. I just did an oil change again, within 400 miles I plan to put some seafoam in the system and run it for 50-70 miles, and change it. As a precaution, I would rather do it with clean oil as the seafoam will clean everything out and get the filter dirty pretty quick.

Good luck with the car!

• 2 weeks later...
i need help w this shit. my car surges horrible bad still even after dealer has had it twice now. first time they flashed ecu to stock in case it wasnt already, and most recently they changed the maf. either did nothing. the car surges bad between 2-3k rpms, and almost everytime i shift now. if i hammer it it USUALLY fixes the issue. sometimes it can be somewhat violent, enough to make me rock in the car. the dealer did a fuel test and my volatiltiy is 2.5 when it should be 9.0 apparently, and the aclohol level was 15% when it should be no higher than 10 apparently. now ive fueled up 3 times since ive owned this car now, and its been at different gas stations, and most recently 93 octane at sunoco. WTF could the problem be? could it be clogged cat? bad fuel pump? fuel regulator? this is so depressing. i caant imagine tht it is really the fuel being bad, but who knows. subaru said to run this tank down to e and re fuel and go from there.... please help. thanks guys

Archived