LegacyGT.com

Change oil & tranny fluid hot or cold?

I heard somewhere that you should change your fluids hot because they're more likely to pull the "clumps" out with them when you drain them. I also heard somewhere that when you pour cold oil/tranny fluid into a hot engine/tranny, it messes stuff up. What's the best way to do it? Google gives me a bunch of crap so I figured you guys should know.

I'm replacing the oil because It's a freshly re-headgasketted engine and I'm replacing the tranny fluid because it got really hot when the engine overheated before.

you are going to hear a lot of diff things, as longs as you keep up with regular maintenance it shouldnt matter. if you neglect your car then you can have sludge and new oil is bad since it will clean the engine/trans and clog lines

all quick lube places changes oil/fluid when hot... the customer drove the car there...

when fluid is hot it is thinner and you are 'more likely' to get more out. does it really matter?? prob not. you have an oil filter for large contaminants some say the contaminants sits at the bottom of the oil pan... some also like pouring a quart of engine oil to 'flush' out the bottom of the pan (fumoto valve peeps)

oil is meant to hold/suspend contaminants

the temp diff isnt that great to thermal shock parts unless you're pouring chilled oil into your engine

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

i saw an article of a guy that ran his harley for 500k miles, every long ride he would pullit into the garage and change the oil while it was hot. he believed that was key in getting the older sludge out with the bad. he was doing 1500 mile oil changes tho.

i usually end up changing the oil while its warm, since i do it at my friends shop and we have to drive it to get it on the lift. ive never heard about cold trans fluid ruining things in a warm motor.

I'm in the same boat having to change both of my engine and trans oil. I am doing mine more as a cleansing type operation since I am a new owner and I am assuming the previous owner didn't maintain it to my standards. Now I've read that doing a trans flush on a 4EAT, that is high mileage, can lead to bigger problems. Would I be better off doing a drain and refill on both fluids in a low mileage interval? Also would using a lower viscosity oil in the engine for the first change help to prevent gunk clogging lines and causing any harm?

Never do a reverse or force flush. If you are doing a flush you want one that uses the cars trans pump to pump in new fluid.

High mileage cars and trans flush can dislodge sludge by either force flush or the new oil with its cleaner properties. This sludge can block ports starving parts of the trans

Best to just do a drain and fill with Oem fluid - since hopefully that's whats in the car already

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Archived