LegacyGT.com

Stalling at lights and slight bucking issue when not warm

So I've read all the info I can find and it seems like I have a MAF issue, but I will explain as best I can and let you guys help me out on a decision. First off 05 Legacy GT limited 5 speed 109k miles. So when I first get in the car in the morning if i hit boost it seems to have a slight bucking hesitation. If i let the car warm up it hardly ever does this. But the biggest problem lately is the stalling. If i pull up to a stop light/sign and say 30 foot out i push the clutch in and put it in neutral, 50% of the time it will drop below idol and just die. It always starts right back up and drives just like normal. Also the idol is just a little jumpy, it has a small rise/dip in it. I don't have a way to data log as i just got the car last weekend :mad:. Questions, answers or anything is welcome I will answer as best i can.

First of all, note that this could be numerous different issues, including I believe a MAF issue as you suggested. I had this problem around 60,000 miles for a while and my local general mechanic could not solve it with a throttle body clean or any other way.

Eventually, I brought it to the stealership for the 60,000 mile service and included this issue when going over the job beforehand with the service technician at the desk. I was told that Subaru had written a software fix for this exact issue and that they would load it on to the ECU.

I cannot 100% confirm that my ECU was flashed with a new rom (haven't pulled my stock rom yet to look at the id number), but my car did come back working perfectly again. Therefore, it was most definitely something they did during the 60,000 mile service, which may have included a software fix. I would guess that would also be a situation where the local mechanic would fail and the stealership would succeed.

However, I cannot totally confirm that this solved the problem since I don't know if there was something else done at 60,000 mile service that may have also helped (like the tech spraying MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor (or some such other idea).

At any rate, something to try if some of the other suggestions people give here you don't work. Good luck. Welcome to LGT.com! Enjoy you're Legacy. We all sure are. Start looking in to up pipe replacement and banjo bolt replacement, if they haven't already been done to your car.

First of all, note that this could be numerous different issues, including I believe a MAF issue as you suggested. I had this problem around 60,000 miles for a while and my local general mechanic could not solve it with a throttle body clean or any other way.

Eventually, I brought it to the stealership for the 60,000 mile service and included this issue when going over the job beforehand with the service technician at the desk. I was told that Subaru had written a software fix for this exact issue and that they would load it on to the ECU.

I cannot 100% confirm that my ECU was flashed with a new rom (haven't pulled my stock rom yet to look at the id number), but my car did come back working perfectly again. Therefore, it was most definitely something they did during the 60,000 mile service, which may have included a software fix. I would guess that would also be a situation where the local mechanic would fail and the stealership would succeed.

However, I cannot totally confirm that this solved the problem since I don't know if there was something else done at 60,000 mile service that may have also helped (like the tech spraying MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor (or some such other idea).

At any rate, something to try if some of the other suggestions people give here you don't work. Good luck. Welcome to LGT.com! Enjoy you're Legacy. We all sure are. Start looking in to up pipe replacement and banjo bolt replacement, if they haven't already been done to your car.

Sounds great I will be calling the local dealership tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for that advice.

Went by the dealership today and basically they said they didn't know what it was. No map to flash to the ECU and the neutral switch was communicating fine. They didn't drive it so it had no chance for it to die on them. Also no CEL so they said they didn't have anything to go off of.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived