LegacyGT.com

ASWC issues, buttons responding randomly

gte460z

Ever since I installed a x930bt and an ASWC into my 2011 Legacy I have been having sporadic issues with the steering wheel buttons (mostly the volume down button). Basically, every once and while a button will stop responding. I have narrowed it down to if it happens when I am stopped at a light it will usually start working when I start driving again or vice versa.

I have gone back through and checked each of my wire crimps and even verified via multimeter that the buttons are in fact toggling correctly (checked at the aswc connector) and I am out of ideas. In my head this screams out as a grounding issue and tomorrow I plan to check my ground wires for the thousandth time. The only thing I haven't tried is adding an additional ground wire to chassis from the radio/aswc since our radio harness already has a ground wire connection. Does this seem plausible? If so, is there a convenient place that everyone is connecting their chassis ground wires to behind the stereo? Any other ideas?

BTW, I have the ASWC programming cable and the unit has been flashed to the most recent firmware, the problem hasn't changed through 3 different updates through the months.

I have gotten to the point where I do not trust anything except for a soldered connection. I have had enough issues with "twisted together wires" and "crimped together wires" (mostly the former). Could ghere be something wrong with the AWSC? I have not had any problems with mine, but I have only had it less than two months.

I normally wouldn't do crimp connections but all my soldering irons are the bulky lab type irons so I figured crimp would do.

Anyways, I grounded the radio and ASWC to the chassis as well as to the harness and I have not had any issues yet. The buttons seem more responsive (not as much lag between button press and radio action, might be easier for the ASWC to detect the change in resistance) so it seems like a positive step and hopefully conclusion to this little episode.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

I bought a Hakko soldering station a few years ago to do a little soldering on a laptop motherboard a couple of years ago, and I like soldering a lot better now. When I mated up my aftermarket radio harness, adapter and AWSC, it made it go much more smoothly than the heavy duty soldering gun I used when I was younger.

Archived