LegacyGT.com

2012 legacy sterio Questions

JayNutz

ok i have a 2012 2.5 and was wondering if in order to instal my subs and amp if there is any way to do it using the factory head unit ( i dont wanna loose the bluetooth or ipod aux) and also does any one know if when they install the subaru subwoffer do they tap into a connector in the car or am i gonna have to run wires ? i ask this cause my buddy said they might have the car all wired for the accessory sub from the dealer and i might be able to splice into it .

thanks for any help

Check with the Subaru dealer to make sure the accessory sub is compatible with your 2012 head unit. I seem to recall reading someone had an issue with the subwoofer having a different connection than the 2010-2011 models. For the underseat powered Subaru subwoofer, you need to access the back of yhe head unit, and run a cable under the seat and through the console. Svxdc at ae64.com makes an adapter to allow you to use an aftermarket amp with your oem head unit if you want to go that route. If there is a connection issue with the newer head units, he may be already working on a solution.

Funny stuff JayNutz we have duplicate cars don't live too far apart and have done just about all of the same additions.

Anyhow, I tried the OEM sub and it will not work with a 2012 Preimum. The wiring is different for some odd reason. Just returned the sub and I am thinking about replacing all of the speakers first to see if that helps and then perhaps add an aftermarket sub if needed.

What is the model number printed on the front of your OEM HU?

Some models have a "secret" line-level subwoofer output, which can be tapped.

There's no pre-wiring for an OEM sub. If Subaru offers one for your model, the kit will include a harness that you'll run from behind the HU to under the seat, where you mount the sub.

To amp your main speakers, you'll want to tap into the wires at the HU's power/speaker harness. I make adapters for radios with the older 14- and newer 20-pin harnesses.

I'm also looking into doing that for the latest models that use the Toyota-style harnesses (with 6- and 10-pin connectors), and can provide separate forward and reverse harnesses now.

If your OEM HU does not have the sub out, you'll need to tap the front speaker outputs for your sub. Recent models attenuate the bass sent to the rear channels as you raise the volume.

Does anyone know if the installed Subaru Sub connect to new after market HU. I'm interested in a JVC KD900BT and I'm not sure if the installed Sub will be usable? I have the stock HU (non HK) in a 2010 2.5i Premium. Installed new Alpine Speakers (Components in front Coaxials in the rear). Results are better. But the stock HU sux. It requires too many alternate adjustments between AM, FM, and digital plays. I added the Media Hub after buying the car and a few months ago after installing the new speakers, added he Subaru Sub (it's only OK....Dealer offered a decent discount with installation, but i should've waited until I went for the new HU). Would a new HU (like the one I mentioned), eliminate the big differences in sound when switching Play Sources?? Advice is much appreciated. This is the first time that I have elected to seek tweaking car stereo sound in any car. I've usually just stayed with the Stock radios.

The short answer is "yes" (you can use the OEM sub with an aftermarket HU). The amount of effort required will depend on the sub.

Same question: What is the model number printed on the front of your factory radio? I'll check whether it has the "secret" built-in line-level subwoofer output.

Do you have an invoice showing the model number on the OEM sub you had installed?

Archived