LegacyGT.com

Keyless entry remote + auto windows?

On my buddy's Jetta, he can hold the unlock button to roll all of the windows down. Is there any kind of mod to do this on a 98 Outback?

Also, my remote snapped off of my keyring. Can I find replacement housings for the remote anywhere? I've been searching but I can't find any specific to the 98 models (black, two buttons).

It would not be easy to do. It's the equivalent of asking if you can take a 40 year old car and make it OBD-II compatible. What you want to do is only possible because of an entirely different electrical architecture in modern vehicles, wherein they don't just have simple circuits controlled by physical switches, but rather a network that connects to a central computer, and buttons that tell the computer what to do and which circuits to run. You would have to rewire the entire window setup if you wanted this capability.

It would not be easy to do. It's the equivalent of asking if you can take a 40 year old car and make it OBD-II compatible. What you want to do is only possible because of an entirely different electrical architecture in modern vehicles, wherein they don't just have simple circuits controlled by physical switches, but rather a network that connects to a central computer, and buttons that tell the computer what to do and which circuits to run. You would have to rewire the entire window setup if you wanted this capability.

That's what I was afraid of... If I could tap into the door unlock circuit, it wouldn't be terribly hard once I found the window circuit, but there's a chance I could mess both of them up :lol:

I'm pretty sure some of the more complex car security systems can do all those functions. It would probably require you to get a few window automation modules and probably have to use security system remote vs your OEM remote.

Archived