LegacyGT.com

Fuel Mileage issue?

Hey so I bought a pretty high highway km 2008 2.5i from somebody I know (approx 165k) about 3 months ago.

Yes I know it's very high km's for an 08, But I know the guy, he bought it new and used it as a commuter. It was maintained well.

anyway, my problem now is that I seem to be getting abnormally low fuel economy in both city and highway.

I have a city average of 17 mpg and a highway rating of 21 mpg.

I've gotten on the phone with the previous owner about it who said he had it sitting for about a month and a half before selling it, but that's it. No problems prior.

now I'm going to be taking it to a brand new subaru dealer that just opened literally 1 minute from my house, and have a friend there check it out, but before I do, I just wanted to see if there were any known and common problems that cause the 2.5i's fuel econ to drop like this

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is bad.

Get a tuneup done on it. New plugs and wires, air fillter. Make sure there are no engine codes showing up.

High mileage (or how do you say it with kilometers? Kilometerage?) doesn't have anything to do with fuel economy. If you have bad parts replace them, and it should be able to get just as good as when it was new.

Just thought of something else to check. You could also have a problem with a brake dragging, possibly a seized brake caliper.

Probably a good thing i didn't take it in yet. He DID get one of the pads replaced, so I think I'll check that tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies

• 3 weeks later...
I recently changed my spark plugs, I filled the tire pressure, which was almost 4 lbs low per tire, and cleaned my PCV valve, which wasn't horrible, but didn't jingle. It jingled when I put it back after degreasing and blowing dry. All this seems to be helping. Mileage has gone gone up since but I can't really calculate until I fill the tank again. Running very smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, let us know if you find anything definite on this one Ehjhey. We like solutions:)

I am running Pulstar plugs in my 2.5i. It seems to help the low end torque a little. I am also getting about 30-31mpg mostly driving around home. Driving makes a huge difference in fuel mileage.

Autumn going towards winter is a good time to check your tire pressure. Outdoor temps dropping means you will lose a few psi per tire.

Archived