LegacyGT.com

95 Legacy Outback Cooling System Burping?

Grrr! This thing is driving me nuts. Put in a new timing belt, new water pump, new t-stat, and it won't burp. I think. It may be the Autozone t-stat. I know now that wasn't recommended. My question before I dump the coolant and replace with a factory t-stat is this. Can I use a cooling system leak/pressure tester, the kind you hook to the radiator, pressurize the system, run it until the t-stat opens, and then open the bleed screw to burp it? Has anyone done this? Will it work? If I don't have a stubborn air pocket, it may be the t-stat, or water pump I suppose.

Thanks!

Jason

95 Legacy OBW, 2.2l, 5MT

replace the t-stat. remove the vent plug, fill the rad through the cap opening slowly. close the vent plug. run engine till the fans come on and the t-stat opens. top off coolant install cap.

when i do it i siphon the coolant out of the jug into the rad. this is so slow it doesn't trap air. and the burping usually isn't needed.

johnegg is spot on as always. Other tricks are to jack up the front end of the car so it is the high point in the system and use a long neck filler to slowly fill up the rad. Another great trick is to squeeze the upper and lower rad hoses. Also, fill up the rad, put the rad cap back on, run the car for a few minutes, allow to cool, burp, lather rinse repeat, lol.

Always use an OEM t-stat! ;)

Archived