LegacyGT.com

How to clean your side view mirrors.

BrianHeston

I've searched but can't find an answer for this one.

How can I clean the fogginess off of this side mirror?

I can tell it's on the surface of the glass, because it is reflected in the mirrored sub-surface.

I've tried a buffing wheel on my Dremel, Vinegar, Goo Gone, Windex... I just can't get this done and it's irritating! :mad:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126869&d=1346000920

339673713_2012-08-2609_52.41-small.thumb.jpg.5e7e9db171a6dde313ddb47d3e0568d7.jpg

Looks as if the mirror is failing somehow.

EDIT: I was just looking into some things and I have a simlar problem with my rear view mirror. Seems like it is the Silver Backing on the mirror that is fading. I never thought of this until I looked into it. IMO if the vinegar doesn't work then you have 2 choices. Reback the mirror with silver backing or get a new mirror.

@MasterPeon: I'm not really sure what kind of deposit it is. I have tried vinegar and it did nothing.

@AkumaMax: I don't believe it's the backing, because I can see the staining reflected IN the backing.

Anyone else have any ideas?

you may have damaged the surface. on my 05 lgt, the surface doesn't feel like glass. it feels like plastic. you may have to use some sort of plastic polish (think like headlight restoration kits) to clear it up.

@iNVAR: I hadn't thought about it being a plastic. I guess I just assumed that it would be glass. I'll have to grab a headlight kit and see how that does.

@Whatisit: I'm guessing the headlight kit would include rubbing compound. I haven't tried that yet, but it'll be my next step.

I'll post back with the results. Thanks for the ideas guys!

• 3 weeks later...

If it bugs you, get a new mirror. The spots you're seeing are the reflective coating failing. The side view mirror is not glass with a reflective backing. It is plastic of some sort coated with a mirror finish.

I went through the same situation and tried vinegar, headlight polishing and even polishing compound. All I got was a darker mirror because I was wearing away the mirror part. Keep you eye out for part outs.

You can buy the mirror alone from Subaru for less than $80 if I recall correctly.

Don't bother with the "mirror replacements" you'll see advertised as they are usually just stick-ons that will not work properly with the heated mirrors.

Archived