LegacyGT.com

ERR SS Where to look?

I have an ERR SS code, no cruise control, and an ABS light on my 2005 Legacy GT. I took it to someone to read the codes to see which wheel it was coming from and they said it was right rear speed sensor open circuit or high voltage.

Should I check for open wires first? I could put an ohm meter at the ABS control connector but I don't know which wires to check. If it says it is open, it couldn't be a tone ring could it? I can't afford to just start replacing parts right now.

Thanks!

OK I paid $25 dollars for someone to read the code for me, before I got the goods on how to read it myself from good guy "m sprank". here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reading-ess-dtc-codes-171935.html

The code is C0101. I found what that code means here: http://www.wellsve.com/custom_searches/abs_troublecodes.php?make=Subaru&model=Legacy&year=2005&code=C0101&submit.x=55&submit.y=29&submit=Submit&confirm=1

ABS Controller pinout. 1&16 are left front speed sensor, 5&6 are right front speed sensor, 2&17 are left rear speed sensor, and 3&4 are right rear speed sensor. 555740_10151108996023116_2056037451_n.jpg

My good sensors read 250K ohms in one polarity and around 357K ohms in the other polarity. I always go with the lower. Mine were all 250K ohms, except for pins 3&4 which show infinite. Remember that checking this way shows the sensor and all the wiring.

I used stick pins to slip into the plug points to have something to probe. They seemed to fit well.

My next step is to unplug the sensor at the wheel and apply a short to the wiring harness while the ABS controller end is unplugged. That turns out to be pretty hard to do. I jacket up the right rear wheel and removed the wheel. I saw (felt) that the wire connects about right where the jack is, so I put the wheel back on, lowered the car and removed the jack. I can't get under it to see it now.

When I was a kid there was a station that would let you use their lift. That would be great!

Archived