LegacyGT.com

My quickie Magnaflow Exhaust Clip

gfxdave99

Recorded and editied this tonight in about an hour.. need a better tripod or something for in the car but figured you guys would enjoy it

broadband people 8MB

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Subaru-1.wmv

56K people 2MB

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Subaru56k.wmv

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I liked your video, I just installed my magnaflows and they sound great...I was going to do a little clip but yours is great so I guess I don't need to...

Just thought I'd say that I've noticed that in the car it's very quiet (though louder than stock) and you don't have to talk over it and if you want to turn your music up it won't bother... but when you're really going at it the tone is very aggresive and noticeable...perfect for me!

Nice video...Weston

I liked your video, I just installed my magnaflows and they sound great...I was going to do a little clip but yours is great so I guess I don't need to...

Just thought I'd say that I've noticed that in the car it's very quiet (though louder than stock) and you don't have to talk over it and if you want to turn your music up it won't bother... but when you're really going at it the tone is very aggresive and noticeable...perfect for me!

Nice video...Weston

Thanks bro.. i cant wait for that stickypod to show up :) :) :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I'm doing a quick lil' write up with a bunch of pictures of my exhaust and I'm going to link this thread for sound clips...hope you don't mind!

No prob

Yeah, that was a V1 - I saw it last weekend at the bbq, but I don't understand the positioning. Why is it in the middle of the windshield, instead of down low or up high?

Mounting low doesnt do you any good because you are reducing your scanning range, mounting it too high makes the sun visor useless..

I'm going to be doing the direct wiring mod soon and it will be mounted higher when its done. The key with the V1 is that it needs to have an unobstructed view from front and behind (thus the arrows and such). I dont like the visor mount cuz it puts the display way out of your line of sight and is goofy when you actually try to use the visor. I may get the remote dislpay and do something 3l33t..

Man, that sounds *great* - two thumbs-up! :) - doubt that it'd pass "the wifey test," though. :(

-----

Slightly off-topic.....

As for the detector positioning, IMveryHO, it's always a compromise.

Up high gets you the best over-the-crest coverage, but considering how little laser spreads, it also reduces your laser reception quite a bit as enforcers are fond of the front license-plate/headlights. Also, depending on how high the unit is placed, the display may be a bit more off your line-of-sight. Another trade-off, on the positive side, though, is that you'll typically get the best pass-through from the rear.

A middle-of-the-windshield compromise is easily worked out, logically, from the above - but one thing to keep in-mind is visibility of the unit's display through your rear window, which may prompt more aggressive tailgating from fellow drivers and/or tip-off enforcers (especially in detector-restricted areas). The biggest benefit is typically that in terms of direct driver sightline - but bulkier units may block a good bit of the driver's line-of-sight for traffic, which can be a concern in a vehicle like our beloved LGTs, as the inside rearview mirror tends to already take a chunk out of forward visibility.

Directly in front of the driver, on the dash, is a compromise aimed at getting better laser detection as well as making the mount more low-profile as well as shifting the display more in to the line-of-sight. However, this undoubtedly compromises rearward sensitivity (especially in open-road areas, where not many things may reflect radar signals - and forget about rear-laser), and will also reduce over-the-crest sensitivity to a certain degree (high-end units may suffer less from this due to their enhanced sensitivity, especially if anti-falsing measures are defeated). Watching out and keeping the receiver with a clear line-of-sight through the windshield, unobstructed by the windshield wiper(s) is critical for this mounting.

Always compromises. :) In the end, it comes down to what we each as individuals is willing to sacrifice and gain.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

tripod + rear seatbelts + bungie cords = handsfree recording =).

... revs sneak up on you? in the beginning of the video, the car starts moving and .... yes you have to shift while holding the camera =).

i'll add your vid to the official aftermarket exhaust thread

tripod + rear seatbelts + bungie cords = handsfree recording =).

... revs sneak up on you? in the beginning of the video, the car starts moving and .... yes you have to shift while holding the camera =).

i'll add your vid to the official aftermarket exhaust thread

Yeah i dont floor it in 1st very often :eek:

I like the sound. I think w/ the resonator is the way I am looking for. What did you use for a "y" pipe?

They re-used some of the stock y.. im working from home tomorrow (today actually) so i'll sneak out and take some good shots of it.. there are some funky bends the way they did it, but it looks fine from behind and it sounds fine so i'll let it be for now and focus on my rims etc

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/PIPES2-01.JPG

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/PIPES2-02.JPG

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/PIPES2-03.JPG

Its not the greatest setup but from straight on you dont see the hangers and the funky bends dont seem to damper the performance/sound so I'll re-do it eventually but not before rims and some other stuff

Archived