LegacyGT.com

swapping engine and sti conversion questions..

2 weeks ago now i bought an 05 LGTwith 180kmi. As it turns out it had a bad compression in cylinder #2. I ended up paying 5300 for the car ad the seller was nice enought to help me out a little bit with $500 back, so i basically paid 4800 for it needing an engine. I was able to source an engine from a forester xt with 52kmi on it and picked that up for 2550 shipped.

I was able to get all the service records for the subaru from the dealership it was serviced at (1 owner untill 167kmi) but what concerns me is there are no records of the turbo or clutch being replaced. I'm gonna swap in a new clutch while i do the engine (w wrx flywheel or lwfw), and i won't know about the turbo until i remove it so i'm just thinking now would be the time for a subtle upgrade. After some reasearch i'm thinking using a vf48.

Here is what i think i'll be needing for the sti upgrade. Please chime in and let me know if i'm missing anything.

-vf48 (purchased)

-P&L AVCS and Oil feed ss line (purchased)

-perrin turbo inlet hose for vf48 2.4" (purchased)

-since i have the xt intake manifold, and it's the same as the sti i'm just going to powder coat it for the look.

-sti top mount intercooler with y pipe and couplers (do i need mounting brackets for this)

-goign to use the fx injectors 565cc

-DW65c

-new plugs

-cobb uppipe (purchased)

-un catted downpipe

Anything i'm missing?

Thanks in advance

just make sure the manifold bolt holes line up, if i am not mistaken the STi ones need some light modification to fit properly.....why not just go FMIC with the VF48 that way you dont need to worry about the TMIC and manifold?

He said he picked up an FXT engine that already has the proper manifold for an STi style turbo.

If everything is apart, you may as well go with a hard inlet pipe if you go aftermarket. Also, while everything is apart, I would swap the injectors just in case. The LGT ones should have more than enough room, but it never hurts to go bigger (within reason, you don't need 1300s unless you're going E85) in case you do go for a bigger turbo.

It's cool; I'm with the band

i am going to use the top feed injectors, harness with the new engine is plug and play according to my buddy at subaru

I've decided to do the TGV deletes while i'm at this. Any other upgrades you guys recommend i do while i've got the engine out/apart?

Archived