LegacyGT.com

ECUflash ROM definintion for an 05 OBXT 5spd?

kjohnson

I'm probly just confused, but... Using the VAG-Com cable I can connect to my car using ECUflash, select my car from the list, and read the ROM. After I read the ROM from my car though Ecuflash gives me an "unknown ROM image" error and asks me what to do. I forget the exact options, I'm at work now and can't check. There is an option to inherit from a definition in a list, and there are several for the Legacy GT, but would that work and how would I know which to use if any?

I'm using Windows 7 and I have installed everything according to the post http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3792458&postcount=137

The instructions didn't tell me to download any other definitions for ECU flash, but I have downloaded the newest ROM Raider definitions. I assumed ECU flash would just read the memory to a file and ROM Raider would sort it out.

Do I need to download a different ECUflash definition for my car? Where do I get it? I don't want to do the wrong thing?

I was wondering about that because it says those deffs only work with version 1.31 and up, but I finally got a chance this morning and tried it anyways.

I have more appropriate choices when I read now, but it still brings the dialog up and asks if I want to copy or inherit from the list, and it has several options for Outbacks, but I'm not sure which to use.

I tried using learning view to get a snapshot to try and get the ECU id and it gave me an error "ecu id of 2f12795506 not found". Now I'm no expert, but that doesn't look anything like the ecu ids in RomRaiders list of supported ids. I expected to see something like more of the form A2WC522S or any of the other listed ones.

Ideas?

I guess it's the cal id that should be something like A2WC522S. RomRaider logger shows "CAL ID: Unknown" at the bottom of the screen. It will log, but I'm not sure if the logs would be correct if it doesn't recognize the cal.

Well, I don't know what was going on before, but I found a A2WC522S stock ROM on the RomRaider forums and compared it to what I was able to pull from my ECU. Everything I could see looked the same on so I loaded it. Now everything is working fine.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is fairly old but I ran into the same issue with my OBXT 05 MT. kjohnson, which version of ECUflash have you been using? I am running version 1.29.

I did find the appropriate ecu definition for my car (A2WC510S) from http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3808 .

My plan is just to copy the 'outbackxt' definition folder and paste it into the 'rommetadata' directory of ECUflash ver 1.29...

bump :redface:

I have a couple other questions and would rather ask here instead of creating a thread for it. As the OP mentioned, there is an option to inherit a definition from a list right after you read your stock ROM via ECUflash. From that def list, there are several for the Legacy GT 05 and there was none for my OBXT 05 as I did not download the latest definitions from romraider (my mistake). So at that point, I had to choose one from the LGT list. I chose to inherit a definition from an LGT 05 MT.

1. first question is why do we need to inherit a def?
  2. what actually happens when you inherit a def?
  3. will there be any ill effect from what I did?

additional info: car is running fine after having read from my ECU. And I also sent a copy of my stock ROM to my tuner (with the wrong inheritance). He said everything was fine... But for some reason, I am a bit worried with this 'inheritance business' before I flash my ECU with my new stage 1 ROM.

Archived