LegacyGT.com

maf question

LegacyDan

Was just checking over my engine bay earlier and noticed the Maf wasn't 100% secure I tried tightening down the 2 small screws to secure it but seems like the plastic on the box has worn away. Would this affect low engine load air flow values? Ill try get a loan of a spare airbox to swap out and see if that helps as the figures are maxed out on Lv for me. I was going to switch to a KSTech intake when I switch to fmic so might need to buy it sooner than I thought if I can't source a spare airbox or secure the maf better

Was just checking over my engine bay earlier and noticed the Maf wasn't 100% secure I tried tightening down the 2 small screws to secure it but seems like the plastic on the box has worn away. Would this affect low engine load air flow values? Ill try get a loan of a spare airbox to swap out and see if that helps as the figures are maxed out on Lv for me. I was going to switch to a KSTech intake when I switch to fmic so might need to buy it sooner than I thought if I can't source a spare airbox or secure the maf better

The MAF sensor is sealed by an O-ring. It isn't going to leak as long as the O-ring is there. The screws just keep the sensor in place. If you are having issues with your LTFT it is another issue, a leak elsewhere.

Make sure your filter is sealed and the cover is securely latched. Otherwise you need to look for where your leak is, as "maxed out" figures are indicative of a serious problem with an air leak post-MAF.

This needs to be pinpointed before installation of other equipments. Otherwise you could be pileing one tuning problem on top of another.

Thing is, it was there before engine rebuild and is still there now so I am thinking its hardware related. I have a limited number of spare parts to play with so I hope I can figure it out. So ur saying check between Max and throttle body areas?

Thing is, it was there before engine rebuild and is still there now so I am thinking its hardware related. I have a limited number of spare parts to play with so I hope I can figure it out. So ur saying check between Max and throttle body areas?

You're saying your LV has +25 in the "A" cell? What are the B, C, and D values?

There are a variety of ways leaks can happen, especially on an engine that has gone through modifications or rebuilds. The only sure way to know where a leak is is by pressure/smoke testing. Obviously, a check of all the various "vacuum" nipples on the Intake Manifold need inspected and secured, and the turbo inlet pipe's turbo boot eliminated, but things like gaskets, etc. can't be visually inspected. One thing for sure, if you have a +25 in your LV, you have a physical/mechanical issue that needs correction.

What exactly did the rebuild entail?

All I can only say is long as your MAF isn't correctly mounted your asking for trouble. As in ghostly weird issues ...I'm speaking from experience….. My MAF had a little small peace or rubber hanging down in the path of air flow and it played havoc with the computer. I would have never noticed until I broke down the intake system to find that little piece of rubber hanging...save yourself from unnecessary frustration and buy a new system or get a replacement.

You're saying your LV has +25 in the "A" cell? What are the B, C, and D values?

There are a variety of ways leaks can happen, especially on an engine that has gone through modifications or rebuilds. The only sure way to know where a leak is is by pressure/smoke testing. Obviously, a check of all the various "vacuum" nipples on the Intake Manifold need inspected and secured, and the turbo inlet pipe's turbo boot eliminated, but things like gaskets, etc. can't be visually inspected. One thing for sure, if you have a +25 in your LV, you have a physical/mechanical issue that needs correction.

What exactly did the rebuild entail?

I'm on vacation at the minute so have no access to my LV screenshots but basically in A/F learning 1 it shows 15 for 0-< 5.60 and the same for 5.60->10. I'll get a different air box in and clean Maf and get a smoke leak test done.

As for rebuild. Rod on cylinder 3 bent making shit of the block so donor block went in with forged internals.

All I can only say is long as your MAF isn't correctly mounted your asking for trouble. As in ghostly weird issues ...I'm speaking from experience….. My MAF had a little small peace or rubber hanging down in the path of air flow and it played havoc with the computer. I would have never noticed until I broke down the intake system to find that little piece of rubber hanging...save yourself from unnecessary frustration and buy a new system or get a replacement.

Donor standard intake system will get swapped in to see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
cool thanks, spare airbox i put in holds it much more securely so i just need to give maf a bit of a clean, reset ecu and go do some logs to see if it made any difference, failing that ill swap out the maf with the spare one i have, failing that i get a match and some gas......

Archived