LegacyGT.com

power steering pump locking up

The 95 L is acting up...

When I start, I occasionally get an ungodly belt squeal. The belts are 6 months old, so they should be ok, which I confirmed visually. The squeal doesn't stop and the belt smokes if I leave it on. The only way to fix it is to shut it off and keep retrying.

I think its my ps pump since it will do the sound quietly when I turn to the left or right all the way. This can also severely affect my cranking speed, making startup slow.

Is it probably my ps pump, or have I broken something else?

i have had a similar problem. belt ''dust'' all over the place, squealing at start up and when turning hard. my belt was pretty new and too loose. i tightened my belt and it would go away for a while but then come back. i eventually bought a better belt, gates, and reduced it a lot. now it just makes a little noise at start up and goes away by the time i get to the end of my block.

if your belt has slack it will slip on the pump pulley , wear the belt and make a mess. check the belt tension. of course a rebuilt or replacement pump will eliminate that as a possibility as well.

you can get a re-build kit for the ump at subaru fo about $30 - 35$. and a used pump for the same.

www.car-part.com

Archived