LegacyGT.com

trany rebuild on a 98 legacy

My legacy has 319000k on it.. the motor is kick ass.. but the transmission is toast! I want to pull the transmission and re-build..

I'm fairly adept at these types of projects, but I've never done one of these transmissions before.

What are the main things to replace?.. clutch packs??..

Here's what happened..

About two weeks ago, it was running fine,.. but,, then after driving about 30 k @ about 120 to 140 k/hr.. i pulled into a parking lot..

I noticed that it became hard to steer when i was going slow..

After shutting the car off, and letting it cool down it went back to normal.

I checked the trans fluid.. 'normal'

It was fine when it was cool,.. but as soon as the car runs 20 to 30 k @ speed.. it goes back to the same problem..

Also the trans goes 'Thump' when shifted into park.. and the AT OIL TEMP light flashes 16 times..

So i changed the filter.. the guy at the parts store said that only 2.5 quarts of fluid would need to go back in..

I put 3 in after changing the filter.. it looked fine on the dip stick,.. and drove like a dream... for about 2 days.. then back to the same problem!!

I checked the fluid again to find that there was NONE!..

So.. ofcourse,.. i had to add three more quarts!

Now the thing is grinding like a really bad nightmare!.. and it 'whines' when i'm driving.. ArrrrrrrrrrrrG!!

Help!!

I have a Pick n pull yard close but.. not sure if i'll find what I need there..

i know it's alot of work but I feel better about rebuilding a trans than putting in something used..

What should I do??

Archived