LegacyGT.com

Megan racing coil overs on OBXT?

OutbackDundee

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on megan racing coil overs on an OBXT. I tried searching the forum and a google search and haven't really been able to find much. Basically I wanted some opinions on how they affect ride, harshness, noise, durability, etc. I wouldn't mind making the ride a bit stiffer, I already have Whiteline front and rear sway bars, AVO endlinks and stiffer rear sway bar mounts and it's not a bad start. My front struts are leaking though and are needing to be replaced soon anyway, so I thought I would upgrade.

Ride: bad.

Harshness: worse.

Noise: increases with use.

Durability: very little.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy cheap coilovers. 10 out of 10 times a quality spring/strut combo is a better choice, unless you don't drive the car and just want it low for a show/meet.

Are you looking to lower it or keep the obxt ride height?

I'd wouldn't mind lowering it a bit, not quite as low as an LGT probably. It would be nice to have the option of keeping the stock ride height or being able to lower it which is why I was considering the megan coil overs.

Also, thank you for answering my question and not making me feel like a dumba$$ for asking it (unlike some other forums)!

Ride: bad.

Harshness: worse.

Noise: increases with use.

Durability: very little.

This! Since you're concerned enough to ask about these things, Megans aren't for you. Fortunately I got mine used for cheap. They're about to come off now that they're shot after maybe 20,000 miles. No more coilovers for me, I'm doing the Spec.B Bilstein swap.

This! Since you're concerned enough to ask about these things, Megans aren't for you. Fortunately I got mine used for cheap. They're about to come off now that they're shot after maybe 20,000 miles. No more coilovers for me, I'm doing the Spec.B Bilstein swap.

I could probably deal with it, it's the wife I'm concearned about :lol: I'm guessing that lowers the car to roughly the same ride height as a Spec.B? Anyone have experience with a strut / spring or coilover setup that doesn't lower it that much but makes it a bit more sporty?

Thanks again!

First of all I want to thank dschultz, Duffman, OB2.5XT, Sublimejoe, Scoobyscoodle and all the other people who posted information regarding the lowering of an Outback. I purchased my 2007 OBXT a year ago and I have spent the last year reading all the post from how to install them to which system was better. Well after all my research I decided to buy the BC Coilovers with the 1” longer housing because the final cost was less than any of the other solutions. I have had them on for about a month. I am at 15” in the front and 15” in the rear.

My daily commute is from an urban area to a suburban to a rural, over mostly two lane roads. I live in Hartford, Connecticut; the roads are a mix bag of typical city pot holed roads with some new asphalt to suburban patched rolling rough textured surface to rural rolling mixed surface roadways. With expansion joints, roller coaster type hills to a mountain whose road is a fast moving hill climb with sweeping left and right turns over new and old asphalt. The speed is from 30 MPH to as much as 60 depending on the time of day. I had a local mechanic install them for me, he was great and it took them about 2 hours. He just installed them right out of the box; I checked that the coilovers were set to the same length for each pair. I purchased them from Image Import Racing because of all the positive feedback that I read on this forum, and they delivered.

My driving style is spirited to plan out scary fast, so when I purchased the OBXT it was a compromise because I had been looking at an Audi Allroad and a S4 wagon but the higher mileage and repair cost did not make sense. My first purchase for the OBXT was new Rallitek front and rear sway bars, end links and AVO Rear Bracket Reinforcement which help with making the OBXT handle better. I then upgraded the brakes and rotors to legacy calipers and larger size rotors which helped in the braking department.

I will have to say, putting the BC Coilovers on has dramatically changed the way the OBXT handles. It is flatter, quicker and more predictable when driving. I am running 225/55/17 tires. The ride quality is stiffer, but not bone chilling, more like what one would expect from a sport sedan. I followed Scoobyscoodle’s recommendation for the setting on the Coilovers and they worked well for my driving situation. When you come around a sweeping right hand turn that is also going uphill at a fast pace the OBXT sticks to the road and follows the line, no more body sway and the rear end is more planted. High speed quick lane changes are uneventful. The coilovers react well to road surface changes, like roller coaster bumps, the tires feel planted. On some potholes you can definitely feel the jar, but you would if you were driving a BMW or Audi. I feel comfortable pushing the OBXT faster through turns and quick maneuvers don’t upset the OBXT.

The BC coilovers are IMO worth the investment, they went on easy and they ride great. They make the OBXT drive more like a sport sedan than a wallowing wagon.

And again thank you to all the people who posted about their experiences and knowledge about lowering the Outback.

Nelson

81022856_FrontRight.jpg.461c468ae2d0c1c5739d11a3a8ab1933.jpg

1716777872_RearRight.jpg.3cbf5863ace765f4c8c09076d39dc284.jpg

1267822304_Wholecar.jpg.40abfc9e815a94dbc608905ee86f7366.jpg

I have had the Megans for about 4 years now. Ride quality is fairly poor, but I keep them on because the stock suspension was awful.

I have also heard that the BCs are better quality than the Megans. They have two versions - one for the LGT and longer ones for the Outback. Get the Outback length ones if you don't want it to look like your suspension has collapsed.

Can anyone confirm if the Outback length BC coilovers have pillowball or rubber top mounts? The megans use the stock rubber mounts.

The measure is taken from the bottom of the wheel arch to the center of the rim, the car should be level and wheel pressure all the same. You can purchase the BC Coilovers from Import Image Racing, they have free shipping.

Nelson

Archived