LegacyGT.com

Squeeling noise with video

Hey all,

I've got 96K on my stock '05 GT and I recently started hearing this strange squealing noise. When I start my car it squeals constantly (at idle), almost like a belt would. It only makes this noise until 2500 RPM when I have it in gear, once I accelerate above this it goes away. When I press the clutch the noise comes back regardless of RPM.

Then my car warms up and the squeal stops at idle...:confused:

When it's warm the car only makes the noise above 2000 RPM, and this noise is independent of the clutch/tranny/moving.

I've attached a quick video clip, I apologize as I should have taken a second one. In the clip the car is warmed up, I am stopped on the side of the road and rev the motor to show the noise starting and stopping.

I have a TSK3 kit and a new exeddy clutch/flywheel as of 80K miles, nothing recently was changed with the car. That in addition to how it changes as the car warms up is leaving me stumped. Please don't make me take it to the dealership :redface:

It appears as if this is a pulley issue... though I'm not sure why this is making noise at some time and not others (while the pulleys are moving at all times).

My next step is to try to identify the right pulley that is making this noise and go from there. If it's helpful to anyone or would solicit more feedback I can try to record another video with the help of a friend...

Any help is appreciated!

Took the car into the dealer to have to rear wheel bearings replaced (score!) and they found that the idler pulley bearing was worn and the belt was starting to work its way off. For a cool $220 they'd replace it... for a $30 part and one bolt... I don't think so.

I feel a little stupid that I didn't realize this myself, popped the hood and saw the belt was partially off the pulley! :spin:

While I had the engine cover off I saw something coming from the intercooler that I thought I had hear about... is this a symptom of the turbo going bad? I'll check the shaft for play when I get a chance, just curious if anyone knew what this meant...:confused:

IMAG0499.thumb.jpg.cfeb3d06a3d665670f59cb81a1afcaf0.jpg

IMAG0500.thumb.jpg.1f80eabac22b87d27f6e018e359b3823.jpg

Archived