LegacyGT.com

A/C Rechargeable?

Hey!

My a/c will not kick in till I rev up the engine quite a bit.

For instance when I go up a hill it will kick in...we looked at it and i cant tell if this model is rechargeable or if its just busted. Common problem? Or should I see a mechanic? thanks!:rolleyes:

It's 134a and most a/c systems have a low pressure shut down switch to protect the compressor from damage. Most any autoparts store will have bottles/cans for recharging a system. Not sure if a '94 has a sight glass on the receiver/dryer but you should look for one. It will be on the top and looks like a piece of glass about 1/4" in diameter that shows the state of charge. If you have one and you see bubbles flowing across it you are definitely low on freon. When charging watch the sight glass and when the bubbles are gone you are properly charged.

Note: actual pressure readings Lo and Hi vary considerably depending on temperature and humidity.

its rechargeable

as long as its 'kicking in' its working could be low on r34a

if there is no r34a then the compressor would not turn on or it could seize up due to no lube:lol:

Yes and no

Mine would kick in but the expansion valve was playing up, eventually it stopped working (wouldn't open, caused massive negative pressure in ac system and caused one of the ac hoses inner plastic layering to crush itself to pieces lol). Most ac places will test for free. When I got mine tested there were at least 4 or 5 second gen legacies there with the exact same issue :/

The compressor will also seize if there is too much pressure. I have charged my AC with the cans you get at the auto parts store. Unfortunately, the gauges suck and are very unreliable. To test it, I had two identical gauges from the same manufacturer. One gauge read 36 psi, and the other read 24. Also, when I added the 134a the gauges would not even move.

So I kept spraying the contents of the bottle. Eventually the system became overcharged and the compressor seized. I bled it for a sec, and it came back on. Because of this I don't like the cans. If you have the money just go to a mechanic even though they will charge you an arm and a leg to do so. Have them test it for free like stasis said. They can also tell you if there is a leak. Then if you really want to try the can method and save a bunch of money, just add a little bit at a time and see if it works. The can with the gauge will run you about $35-40.

Since your compressor kicks on eventually it sounds like yours is low.

The possibility of overcharging is why you want to see if there is a sight glass. This can show you visibly when the charge is sufficient. If there is not a sight glass you will be better off with a professional, finances permitting. If you decide to charge it yourself look for one of the kits that includes a dye for leak detection. A properly maintained and sealed system should hold pressure for years.

One more note, if you go to a professional and they determine you have a leak be sure they change the receiver/dryer and pull a vacuum on the system to remove moisture. Moisture and freon will form an acid that will corrode your system from the inside out.

Archived