LegacyGT.com

wont believe my loaner car!

my wagon got severly side swiped by a jackass about three weeks ago! It's in the shop getting fixed, so I call my dad to borrow a car out of his stable to use while mine is down. He offers me the 02 mercedes CL600 with V12 and active suspension system. as great a car as it is... I really miss my subbie! Dont get me wrong, there are far less cars to be running around in, especialy for free, but the subbie feels quicker and nimbler to me. The merc, while a coupe, is so,so freakin heavy! just for kicks I shut off the active suspension and traction control. I went around a right turn at an intersection and got on it. The car felt like an old big block buick from the early seventies, smoking the tires and bobbing all around like a half day fishing boat! The computer is all that keeps this car under control.

Obviously there is a difference in top end speed. The merc just keeps pulling like a turbine over 100mph. But from a stop, and just plain driving around town, I miss my suub!

Anyway, cant wait to get my car back. Serious praise indeed for a car that cost almost 100K less than my loaner car!

Sorry, lurker here until now.

Not to argue the point, but you cannot turn off the semi-active suspension on the CL. You can set it for softer damping, but you can't turn it off.

Also, the S500 has a different suspension system that uses air bladders instead of coil springs or hydraulic rams. It's also expensive and complex, but completely different from the CL's. However, the CL's system is optional in the S.

And I can't tell you how I know....;)

Not to argue the point, but you cannot turn off the semi-active suspension on the CL. You can set it for softer damping, but you can't turn it off.

what switch says "ESP" on it? that is the switch I shut off that let the tires light up and the car bob around like a fishing boat.

Well homer I will believe you. I don't know much about Mercedes. I just drive my mothers; which by the way sitting in my driveway right now. I chose to drive my legacy over the mercedes today even though I had the choice.

Also, the S500 has a different suspension system that uses air bladders instead of coil springs or hydraulic rams. It's also expensive and complex, but completely different from the CL's. However, the CL's system is optional in the S.

Well I have to admit the car u speak of is a boat BUT I personally think MB are getting it together with their bigger cars, MORE HP and MORE DRIVIABILITY, just look at the new SL range including the CL.... very nice and nimble too.

Ada///M.

What else does Dad have in the stable?

current cars are kind of boring... an E500 AMG. a new vette, an Escalade. past cars were pretty impressive...

factory 938 slant nose turbo completely built by andial engineering, various ferraris begining with a 73 246 GT spider up to boxers and a testarosa. various lambos, from early coutach's to the last 02 diablo vt coupe' with all wheel drive. he had a viper GTS which was a blast to drive because nothing on it was controlled by computers, very crude, but snakey fun. Lots of exotic, and very rare american muscle cars including early sixties factory AFX drag cars.

He's currently shopping for a Ford GT. I am trying to talk him into a new BMW M5 with the seven speed and V10 with formula 1 style launch control.

I've been fortunate to drive almost everything he's had. In spite of all this, I still really love my LGT!

I went out and looked at the car. there is one switch that says "ABC" for various sport modes for the active suspension. the ESP switch (electronic stability program I presume) is what I turned off when I performed my shenanigans.

current cars are kind of boring... an E500 AMG. a new vette, an Escalade. past cars were pretty impressive...

factory 938 slant nose turbo completely built by andial engineering, various ferraris begining with a 73 246 GT spider up to boxers and a testarosa. various lambos, from early coutach's to the last 02 diablo vt coupe' with all wheel drive. he had a viper GTS which was a blast to drive because nothing on it was controlled by computers, very crude, but snakey fun. Lots of exotic, and very rare american muscle cars including early sixties factory AFX drag cars.

He's currently shopping for a Ford GT. I am trying to talk him into a new BMW M5 with the seven speed and V10 with formula 1 style launch control.

I've been fortunate to drive almost everything he's had. In spite of all this, I still really love my LGT!

Wow he ownes these cars or has them pass thru his hands (sells them)?

The computer is all that keeps this car under control.

What about the driver?

And the CL600 was built for autobahn cruising not all out acceleration from a stop.

They run low 14's in the 1/4

But as you said, above 100 mph they're pretty darn fast.

I went out and looked at the car. there is one switch that says "ABC" for various sport modes for the active suspension. the ESP switch (electronic stability program I presume) is what I turned off when I performed my shenanigans.

Yup, the button marked ABC shackles the spring rates and damping to stiffen roll rate (by the way, it also stiffens body movement due to brake dive and accel squat) and the ESP off switch turns off only the throttle functions of stability control. Selective braking is still with you though, so that if you induce more than a certain degree of understeer of oversteer, you'll feel the brakes grabbing hold and righting the car within your intended path.

Not saying the big Merc is more fun. Ain't no way. My LGT wagon's more fun and an STi must be hoots more fun. I don't think lotsa hp itself makes for more fun (except at the dragstrip). I've had more fun at 10/10ths in a stock Miata when they first came out with 185 section tires than with most other cars with twice the hp and twice the outright grip at 8/10ths (give or take a hundredth)....

Want to have some real fun with your loaner, C&D a few months back explained how to FULLY turn off the traction/stability control on Benzes. It's called a dyno mode, its only to be used for dynos, says the lawyer.

Want to have some real fun with your loaner, C&D a few months back explained how to FULLY turn off the traction/stability control on Benzes. It's called a dyno mode, its only to be used for dynos, says the lawyer.

problem is, the car is so heavy it feels like a barge with really old shocks when you shut off the ESP. it sways so bad that it really is no fun. yes, you can light up the tires, but, the handling really goes to shit.

I get my subbie back tomorrow!!! YES!!!

Since Dad's such an enthusiast.....you should press him to buy an STi and put every mod known to mankind on it. You could drive around in a 500+ whp AWD rocket ship. Hell, why not just have him sink about $10K into your LGT and get the first 400+ whp Legacy!

Since Dad's such an enthusiast.....you should press him to buy an STi and put every mod known to mankind on it. You could drive around in a 500+ whp AWD rocket ship. Hell, why not just have him sink about $10K into your LGT and get the first 400+ whp Legacy!

I agree!!

Archived