LegacyGT.com

Underhood Temps with bigger turbo and N/A hood

I ran into a few problems today...my maf got wet from the rain or gunked up from oil and caused a few issues that kept causing me to pull over. I also couldn't go very far since my handyman/plumber was fixing a water leak at my house. I did however make a mock scoop delete out of cardboard.

With the minimal driving I did, I didn't see any real change in IAT. I did a lot of driving at ~50mph and it showed only 15* above ambiant but as soon as I had to sit at a light, IAT shot up to 20-25 above ambiant and stayed there. Gonna swing by lowes tomorrow and make a real block off and do more logging. I should know forsure on Wednesday if it works or not. I have a 20mile highway drive to work which should provide consistent airflow and IAT reading.

• 1 month later...

I drove for over a week with the mock set up(work schedule sucks) and the IAT measured post intercooler wasn't any different with or without it. I have a feeling it has to do with the sensor sitting on a metal pipe and flange that heated up and stayed heated. Even though my pipe is gold reflect wrapped, it just heats up and stays that way. Once it hits a certain IAT/temp after sitting at a light, it rarely drops 2* below that temp. Or maybe the Ebay/Xo2 core is getting heated up by the radiator and turning into a heat sink.

I have since gone back to draw through due to some blow through problems so I can't measure post IC anymore. I've been throwing around the idea of a FMIC and radiator mister though...

• 11 months later...

A little update on this: With the car on the brink of running again, I found my old hood scoop splitter and gave it a look. The center section is held on by 3 tack welds that were easily broken off by prying with a flat blade screw driver. With the center section removed, a flat panel delete can be bolted on and the whole splitter assembly can be mounted back on the car. I have not made the panel but will do soon. I've attached a pic, the silver sections are where the center section was attached via tack welds.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/9510800287_32e1b0a97c_z.jpg

• 3 years later...
bump this from the dead - my hood is faded and i think im just gonna go with a 2.5i hood from a jy instead of repainting this one. Ill do some testing once the car is rebuilt and keep everyone informed.

Archived