LegacyGT.com

Brake pads with good bite

fishbone

I bought Stoptechs and they were great at first. Good initial bite, not a ton of dust. They gradually got dustier and started leaving pad impressions on my rotors. I ended up switching the rotors to Stoptech/Centric premium blanks and the impressions came back. All these impressions were causing my steering wheel to shake (rotor 'warp'). I could go through a bed-in process and clean them up for a while, but they always came back. I don't know if the 5EAT has anything to do with this.

I'm running the Carbotech AX6 pad now. That's the autocross pad, what used to be called the Bobcat, I believe. First stop of the day is always meh. But once you get that little bit of heat in them they are positively sticky! As in 'don't pull the ABS fuse unless you want to flatspot your tires' sticky. DAMHIKT! I run autocross with Toyo R1R tires and these pads are awesome with seriously sticky rubber. I obviously don't drive as agressively with my every day tires and the pads are great. A little squealy, though. I'm going to try without shims soon. Carbotech says they'll be fine all winter, too, or I wouldn't have bothered with them. We'll see.

If you're interested, we can work out a deal on my old Stoptechs. They're evenly worn to 60% rear/70% front. That way you get to try them out without paying full price. That's pads only, so shipping from Canada to US isn't going to be too bad.

i KNEW i wasnt crazy! i had the stoptech rotors and pads and i had horrendous impression/depositing issues so i took em off in favor of the dba 4000 slotted and bobcat pads. i like em a lot.

still looking for a race-ish pad that can do double duty (sorta) on the street, but it seems like there really isnt a compromise.

pads im looking to use w/ centric blanks:

carbotech xp8

pfc 06

porterfield r4s

anything else worth looking at?

Just to be clear, the Stoptech rotors weren't the problem. Just the pads. Those same rotors now are perfect with different pads.

Race pads probably won't do you any good on the street, since you'll rarely get them hot enough. Best bet is to get two different pads from the same brand, like Carbotech 1521 and XP8 or 10, and swap them at the track. Carbotech spec sheet says you don't have to re-bed if you're staying with the same brand. If you're changing the wheels anyway, then it's another 20 minutes or so to swap pads. Just need a 14mm socket and a C-clamp.

I'm running the Carbotech AX6 pad now. That's the autocross pad, what used to be called the Bobcat, I believe. First stop of the day is always meh. But once you get that little bit of heat in them they are positively sticky! As in 'don't pull the ABS fuse unless you want to flatspot your tires' sticky. DAMHIKT! I run autocross with Toyo R1R tires and these pads are awesome with seriously sticky rubber. I obviously don't drive as agressively with my every day tires and the pads are great. A little squealy, though. I'm going to try without shims soon. Carbotech says they'll be fine all winter, too, or I wouldn't have bothered with them. We'll see.

This. I had the hawk hp+ before. The dust is about the same(a lot) but the carbotech dust seems a lot easier to get off.

got an email back from carbotech - two options:

1) xp8 for street and track use (with blanks). does anybody have this setup?

overly noisy? not really good at either track or street?

2) xp12 fronts and xp8 rears for exclusive track duty (again, with blanks).

this means i need to swap rotors and pads each time i track.

thats fine, but it means i need to set aside the time to get it done...

Archived