LegacyGT.com

Front Drivers Rattle/squeak

car_cursed

Okay, I have searched and read all of the threads, I have a front Drivers side rattle/squeak, that is driving me nuts and before I start replacing (more) parts one at a time I would like anyones opinion on what to do.

The Car:

2006 Legacy GT 72k miles

Stock suspension except Rallitek endlinks

The Problem:

On bumpy/uneven roads the front drivers side suspension creates a noticeable rattle/squeak, I can feel the rattle in the floor under my foot when it is resting on the dead pedal.

The Resolutions (so far):

I have replaced and double checked the endlinks (rallitek)

I have greased the stock sway bar bushings

I have tightened every nut under the car and tightened the strut mount nuts in the engine bay

The LCA bushing look new

There is no play in the wheel bearings or ball joint

Replaced the axle

No leaks from the strut

Lateral links do not

Other Posibilities (how can i check these?)

Sway bushings are worn and greasing them did nothing

Strut mount (how can I check this?)

Main Strut nut (how can I check this?)

Think I might try disconnecting the endlink to see if that eliminates the rattle if it does then it's the sway mounts, if not it's ?????

New problem listed Below

Okay, I am getting a popping noise coming from my drivers side, I have swapped, and properly torqued my Rallitek endlinks, greased the bushings, it sounds like it's coming from the strut maybe the it happens when I turn to almost full lock and then will cause the car to pull untill I turn the opposite direction to un bind it.. The noise did not start until I tightened the main strut nut that was loose and causing a rattle. I did not replace the sway bars, just did not want to make a new thread.

It could be worn swaybar bushings.

Also, I know you said you checked them but the bushings on the rear of the front lca could be the culprit. I haven't seen many last 70k+ miles and still be in good shape. Even before they completely crack, they still allow way more deflection than desired.

• 1 month later...

New Noise after I fixed the old noise bump.

Okay, I am getting a popping noise coming from my drivers side, I have swapped, and properly torqued my Rallitek endlinks, greased the bushings, it sounds like it's coming from the strut maybe the ball joint? It happens when I turn to almost full lock and then will cause the car to pull untill I turn the opposite direction to un bind it. The noise did not start until I tightened the main strut nut that was loose and causing a rattle. I did not replace the sway bars, just did not want to make a new thread.

I am not sure if it's the ball joint or not. My experience with ball joints is it makes a noise when hitting bumps while driving typically at lower speeds unless its a bigger bump. Sounds like an issue with your springs to me. Only pops when turning? Sounds like your top spring hat isn't aligned properly. Which if your strut bolt was loose would make sense. Good luck!

I seem to be having a similar issue with my 2005 LGT and I am stumped myself. If you figure out a solution, let me know. I am getting my wheels rotated and balanced tomorrow from the subie dealer, and they may be able to give me the skinny on what is going on.

alright, I loosened the main strut nut, compressed the suspension and re-tightened using a pass through and allen wrench. Still making noise, I am going to disconnect the sway bar next to eliminate that, it looks like it is making my tire wear on the outside much too fast. I'll update with any results.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had same problem when I installed new springs and shocks my buddy rushed me (his place couldn't use air tools after ten pm) anyway the washer was in the wrong spot so the bearing was grinding. Fixed it the next day. Washer is tapered to fit small side up.

At 70k it doesn't suprise me that the upper mounts are seized.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived