LegacyGT.com

Subaru Hardware Durability Over The Years

I'm looking for a cheap eco beater for year round and I was thinking... I'll most likely have to do the brakes and neglected scheduled maintenance.

I've owned and worked on 3 generations of Legacy's:

1st gen: 1992 Legacy Touring Wagon LE (EJ22T, 4eat) 247-249000km RIP

2nd gen: 1997 Legacy L Wagon (EJ22, 5mt) 147-249000km ++still running, new owner

4th gen: 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Sedan (EJ255/7, 5eat) 157-196000km +still have it, gf's current dd, my toy

All 3 from southern Ontario

I bought the 92 for its engine and swapped it into my 97, so i know both those cars the best.

I don't know about the 3rd gen but from my experience (especially brake jobs) the 1st and 2nd gen seem less likely to snap a bolt than the 4th's. On my 2nd gen i changed both front ball joints no problem, on my 4th i changed 1, snapped the head off the pinch bolt in the process. I had to take the whole hub off to drill it out and thread a new bolt in and decided not to change the 2nd since it was still in good shape.

In short, I think I'll keep an eye out for a gently used 95-99 outback limited <1500$, mileage doesn't matter, preferably from a salt/calcium free state/province. swap in a 2.2l if the head-gaskets go and it should be good for 400,000km+

I used to love Subaru durability. It seems that it has gone just a little bit downhill, but still its better than the average domestic. I put 200k+ on my 78 and 79 wagons and loved that they were so easy to fix and maintain. They are practically Lego cars with the compatibility one subie has with another.

Mainly I see paint issues on cars and not so much of the mechanical, but I can tell you that in 2004 or 2005 there was a sharp decline in the quality of products coming out of the USA because of environmental standards which restricted the type of chemicals they can put in paint and how they manufacture other parts. It is my honest opinion that a 2004 Subaru is going to last much longer than a 2005 Subaru in almost every way. I never had a problem with my older Subarus. I had a 94 Legacy that ran like a champ for years with well over 120k miles on it. Brakes, belts, fluids, and tires are the only things I've ever had to replace on my subies until they hit over a hundred thousand miles. I was disappointed with the quality of build and materials in my '05 LGT, but it was the first model year for that car, so it was to be expected. It still makes me nervous to get a newer one though. That car shook my confidence in Subaru a little bit.

Most of what you hear about a car is negative anyway since there isn't any reason to start threads about the positive, but I haven't seen too many car forums where someone posts a negative comment about a car and then fifty people post "me too!" on it. Maybe it was just a phase they went through and everything is back to normal....

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

As much as I love my 91's, I had a 95 LSi wagon that went to the moon and back mileage wise. The body was beat to hell, but that thing was my DD for a scrappy sales job while I was still in college and it never let me down.

I ended up selling it to a guy in Tennessee and he drove it all the way from CT to Tenn. without a hiccup. Wonder if that thing is still running today.

Also owning 3 generations the consistent part I see is the horrible quality in paint and sheet metal, and also the lack of drainage in those critical spots where the corrosion begins.

Mainly I see paint issues on cars and not so much of the mechanical, but I can tell you that in 2004 or 2005 there was a sharp decline in the quality of products coming out of the USA because of environmental standards which restricted the type of chemicals they can put in paint and how they manufacture other parts.

We gets loads of salt here.± Most 2nd gen here have little rust but most 3rds have plenty.

Which restrictions were applied to manufacturing? Id like to know more

We have a lot of salt here in Minnesota too, and I see equal amounts of rust on 2nd and 3rd gens and if it was not due to some sort of body damage, it is usually behind the rear wheel arch just above the bumper cover. Left side seems to be more prevalent than right side.
It is still ugly.

We have a lot of salt here in Minnesota too, and I see equal amounts of rust on 2nd and 3rd gens and if it was not due to some sort of body damage, it is usually behind the rear wheel arch just above the bumper cover. Left side seems to be more prevalent than right side.

This rust is especially due to these useless black moldings on the rear wheel arch. Remove them and the problem is solved.

My BH is oil treated every year though and it really works to prevent rust not only on the body, but also on mecanical parts (suspension for example). On Quebec roads, they put loads of salt and abrasive. If everybody had a Sub, they wouldn't need to do it :lol:;)

Our Outback started rusting under the bumper cover and it has crept out into the open on the quarter panel away from the rubber molding. I suspect the quarter panel paint under the bumper was damaged at some point when the rear bumper cover was taken off and on twice in the first year we had the car (it was very lightly hit in the rear twice and needed the bumper cover repaired and resprayed).
It is still ugly.

Archived