LegacyGT.com

Removing Foglights - with Pics

I just replaced a blown foglight on a 2006 Legacy GT Wagon with this guide from underneath, thank you so much for the pictures.

Now I am thinking how easy it was to replace with some really good quality H3-55's. I am seeing people say the PIAA are good.

Any recommendations? I want just pure white light if I can to match the look but also give out some decent light to drive with.

Brad

Just get HIDs for your fogs..none of those PIAA, lumitech, polarg etc will match that of a HID setup. look into the 4300k-5000k kits for that bright white output.

^ There's both pros and cons to having brighter fogs.

Pro:

+ it's all about forward vision, so as much light as you can throw out there, the better

Con:

- too much foreground lighting will actually cause you to not see as well, farther away

- too much light, added to altered aiming (to best help get "light on road," with our rather less than adequate factory fog assemblies) could increase backscatter so as to be problematic in true-fog/true-adverse weather situations

- insufficient heat generation from the bulb will mean that the lamp/lens assembly does not "self clear" in foul weather

I experimented with a 3000K (as I prefer yellower lighting for foul weather use, despite the decrease in true light-on-road) 35W H3 HID in my factory fogs earlier this fall, but eventually decided against it, and went back to an 85W incandescent setup (Hella YellowStars - no, not the best, but I got them for hella cheap :lol:), mainly for self-clearing considerations, as I'm in NE-Ohio, and drive a slightly lowered vehicle.

In the end, it's the specific/unique end-user who has to decide which side of the trade-offs they think is more worthy.

For example, in my wife's '09 FXT, I made the compromise of having too much foreground lighting - its fogs are 9006, so I was able to use HIR1, with the "hi-lo mod," for that application. Yes, it does put out a lot of light in the foreground, but that's what I wanted, as my wife drives, at night, virtually only on otherwise well-lit urban/suburban streets, and the purpose of the fogs is to simply increase visualization of curbing and potholes, as well as to aid in lane guidance when the slush buries the markings, after a snowstorm.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 5 months later...

2nd time I used this awesome!

Also as a shortcut (I learned from the first time) is that you only have to take out the front pop screw and pull the shroud down. You can't see the screws but you can feel them and a small socket wrench with an extension and they come out easy.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks to this method it was a easy job! Luckily nothing was damaged, but the hole I made during aftermarket HID install was facing upwards and the rubber seal that came with the kit was pushed out. Now it's facing downwards like the driver's side which didn't have leakage. ;)

Because I always try to come up with solutions before starting a job I though of a good idea to seal the hole a broken bracket on top of the fog light unit could leave.

If this was the issue in my case, I would have used a flexible piece of plastic (like a cut up DVD cover or something) to glue on top op the unit. Home depot has specialized PVC glue to connect PVC pipes during plumbing. Waterproof and VERY tight. Maybe some silicone around the edges of the applied piece of plastic just in case.

Archived