LegacyGT.com

Running meatier tires??

specialB

I've been running on these Hankook V12 Evo's for two summers now and their getting towards the end of their useful life. I'm tired of the sport springs and super skinny tires with 3 1/2" of tire wall. They handle great but did not take the bumps all too well.

I want to go with a beefier tire but I don't want to sacrifice cornering stability at the same time. If I keep the same tread width (225) and bumped up to a 4.5 inch sidewall on Michelin Pilot super sports, I wonder if I would run into tire rolling issues or more understeer.

Or even if I went with a bigger tire does that mean I can run a wider tread too since there is more side wall to squish onto that 7" spec b wheel

I went meatier for the same reason. Nitto 225/45ZR18XL is where I'm at, I wouldn't go bigger, they may rub. Much better on dirt roads, crappy pavement, and snow...I keep them pumped up to about 40 PSI, lower if I'm expecting dirt roads. Did not notice any difference in performance, I push them hard some times, no give. I also am running very stiff sways, soo.... might be different for you.

I run 225/45-R18 DWS on my stock wheels for winter, seems to work well aside from the tire bulging very slightly and wanting to fold over noticeably if the pressure is under 40 psi. Maybe it would be more stable with a stiffer tire, but not by much. THe stock tires mounted on 18x8's are much more stable, but I will probably go with a 225/45-18 summer tire when I replace them.

I would just try to pick up a decent deal on a set of 18x8's with the 225's. Store the stock wheels, then pick up some used re050's at you leisure for when you sell the car, or just leave you current ones in place.

I may be wrong be I think the XL are rated for heavier vehicles so I think that helps with side wall folding. That size definately helps the tire to wheel ratio and fills gaps, It sould be perfect since you are lowered but it will raise your over all hight a little(i didn't mind since its more ground clearance). If you have coilovers you can probably go a little bigger since that is the limiting factor(rubbing on the lower spring purch), but if you have positive caster LCA bushings you may want to stick with this size(you may get rubbing on the front inside fender during hard cornering).

not the best pic to show what we are looking at but its the most side on shot I have with those tires......

IMAG0247.thumb.jpg.89fd3b7091418e7f487c79dac1f3aae9.jpg

Archived