LegacyGT.com

TMPS... why now?

nimrod685

New tires in november, filled with nitrogen (not my choice/request/etc), no problems until last week. TPMS light came on in the morning on my way to work (A day or two before I had hit a major pothole on the passenger side). Took it to the tire place that afternoon to get it checked out; and on the way the TPMS light went off. They checked my tires, and both passenger side tires were pretty low, driver side was ok. They topped me off, and everything was fine. Today- TPMS light on my way to work. My gague says says all tires are~30psi, except front drivers side which is ~33psi

My thought(s)

a) could this just be the effect of temperature on nitrogen? (but why would this happen now and not sooner- and twice within a week)

b) could it be because they topped me off while the tires were warm (didnt put in as much air as needed, so 'cold' pressure still falls below the threshold and throws the TPMS light)

c) slow leak in tires and/or rims.

Same thing today- got about 2 miles away from the tire place and the TPMS light went off. I had them overinflate my tires a couple psi. hopefully this does the trick. If the light comes back on then I'm pretty sure I have a leak.

Go to your local autozone and buy a $3 tire pressure gauge, keep it in your glove box.

The TPMS will trigger at about 30 psi. All the times my TPMS has triggered repeatedly have been due to slow leaks (screws).

look at the door sticker for factory spec psi, the tpms system is expecting that.

Actually, it's expecting a minimum of slightly below that. You could inflate more, and the TPMS wouldn't care. But thanks.

look at the door sticker for factory spec psi, the tpms system is expecting that.

Yea- I think when they topped off my tires last week they only inflated to the recommended cold pressure... and my tires were warm at the time, so I think they were still underinflated, but the TPMS was 'happy' since the pressures were in the recommended range. The temperature dropped pretty low a few nights ago and i think it was enough to make the pressures fell below the threshhold, and threw me that lovely light again.

I'll be keeping an eye on them to see if they are holding air or if there is a slow leak- which if there is a leak then i think 3 of my tires are leaking.

I dealt with a leaky tire back in the fall for about three weeks. At first i thought it was just because the temps were fluctuating and I wasn't getting the pressures within the right range. Eventually I was putting air in the tire everyday for almost two weeks before finding out it was an 'unrepairable' plug that was leaking... which led to my new tires.

i had a similar issue when i first got my car....

some how the valve stem cracked, maybe from a pothole or something the previous owner did?

i was told the metal valve stems can be a pain in the ass when it comes to the sensors.

Archived