LegacyGT.com

5eat failure or not?

semsub

Hi.

Car is 06 legacy 3.0 with 5eat, 105k miles, stock, trans was never rebuild.

The car is not mine,it's my brother car, he drives not like bank robber,sometimes goes on track just for fun,but not too often.

Problem is, cracking noise sometimes under the car when shifting from 1 to 2 on high rev (5.5k and higher).

This noise is on drive,sport or manual mode..

I tried to check it, from about 2 hours driving like mad it came only 2 time, second time was with 10 sec flashing CEL, no error codes was stored( its mystery because I got the same flashing CEL on my lgt without stored codes,but mine is another story)

Trans working fine in all modes, this noise is coming only when going from 1 to 2 under wot.

I think trans as stucked for 2 secs or so when after cracking noise flashing CEL came.

He said that last fluid change was about 20k ago, I forgot to check his fluid level,will check later.

Is this noise only trans issue? Or something else,like diff?

Maybe somebody had same problems?

He is short on money,and trans rebuild is the latest thing he would do, and mechanics will say to rebuild it for sure, I know..

Unfortunately it could be a number of things. If it only happens on 1-2 shifts I am inclined to believe it is internally with the transmission.

The reason you are not seeing any stored codes is because more than likely the CELs are triggered by the transmission module and not the engine module.

To get to the tranny codes you need either Subaru Select Monitor (at the dealer) or FreeSSM which is a free program, you'll need a laptop and compatible OBD cable.

It may be a sign the clutches are worn and slipping under WOT at redline.

Archived