LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy 4EAT to 5MT manual swap write-up

• 1 year later...
I saw you did this conversion 5 years ago and the last time you logged in was march 2016, but I really want to thank you. I printed off your write-up and kept it with my Haynes as I did the same thing and you did all of the leg work for me and made it a lot easier for me. I am a fellow New Englander from Maine. Connecter B135 pin 25 information was incredibly valuable !!!!!! I took the entire engine and drivetrain from a 2001 manual forester and placed it in a 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited Automatic. The speedometer isn't even off !!! I wired it directly into the plug you said to disconnect into the TCM. That was another incredible piece of information to unplug one of the connectors so that the ABS would work and the idle would calm down !!!! Thank you for your insight and incredible work !!!!! The car is about to get inspected as soon as I replace the catalytic converter as it won't complete the drive cycle because it posting low efficiency. It was posting before according to a maintenance form from the prior owner's mechanic. I hope you are able to read this good sir and know that your in-depth write-up really helped me. I did a conversion last year on a 2003 Ford F150 and there wasn't anything written up for it, and thanks to your troubleshooting I don't have to get a tuner for the Subaru.

Thanks for your feedback and I am very glad I could help! I rarely have time to go on this forum anymore, but I set up email notifications if anybody asked me a question. A swap like this really sounds like a lot more work than it actually is, but totally worth it if you are attached to your car. In doing research, I always seemed to find stuff on 95-99 Legacy manual swaps, but nothing for the third gen. I am glad your swap worked out for you and I hope she passes inspection! Thanks again for the positive feedback :D

FYI, I have never had good luck with aftermarket catalytic converters. that P0420 code can be a nightmare. After a lot of trial and error, I've found getting the OEM Subaru one is the only way to make it happy. I've also noticed that the price for some models is well over $1000, but I recall buying one for an 01 automatic (like my original car) and it was only $5-600 and the same part. I bought this same part for my 98 outback (Subaru wanted $1800 for the correct parts at the time), and it never gave me any issues.

Cheers!

I saw you did this conversion 5 years ago and the last time you logged in was march 2016, but I really want to thank you. I printed off your write-up and kept it with my Haynes as I did the same thing and you did all of the leg work for me and made it a lot easier for me. I am a fellow New Englander from Maine. Connecter B135 pin 25 information was incredibly valuable !!!!!! I took the entire engine and drivetrain from a 2001 manual forester and placed it in a 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited Automatic. The speedometer isn't even off !!! I wired it directly into the plug you said to disconnect into the TCM. That was another incredible piece of information to unplug one of the connectors so that the ABS would work and the idle would calm down !!!! Thank you for your insight and incredible work !!!!! The car is about to get inspected as soon as I replace the catalytic converter as it won't complete the drive cycle because it posting low efficiency. It was posting before according to a maintenance form from the prior owner's mechanic. I hope you are able to read this good sir and know that your in-depth write-up really helped me. I did a conversion last year on a 2003 Ford F150 and there wasn't anything written up for it, and thanks to your troubleshooting I don't have to get a tuner for the Subaru.

• 1 year later...
Well after some trial in and error i have a working speedo!!!! I will post how i fixed it a little later with pics

Hi So you have said here you have after trial and error you have a working speedo and that you will post how you fixed it a lil later with pics.... And I am not seeing a post on how you fixed it and or the pics... Have you posted how and the pics if so can you tell me perhaps where .. Or you can email me at Keigansmomma4102@gmail.com ... Yes this says momma.. Which is my mates email. I would appreciate your help... Please and thank you in advance

Sincerely Rudy

I did the project almost two years ago, I remember consulting the Haynes manual and in the back it has wiring diagrams. The TCM takes input from the Speedometer and sends it to the computer. You can even wire it directly to the computer if you can meter the wire from the speedometer. I remember running a wire from the speedometer into the fender through a hole covered with a grommet and then under the dash and to the pin going to the TCM. It is a little trial by error and checking for continuity. I just checked my Haynes manual and I took some notes which aren't very good. It was either on connector B54 or B55 and I checked continuity to the ECM to the corresponding pin on that connector. The speedometer has three wires, a ground, positive and output. I piggybacked the power to my reverse lights and it worked. It has legally passed inspection and I still drive it almost every day since I have done the project. I swapped my cats with another set I had and it passed without throwing codes. I do occasionally throw a code for park neutral safety circuit high or low. It is manageable and doesn't affect the performance. Sorry about my late response, I haven't gone on here in a while and sorry I don't have any pictures of the wiring.

Hi So you have said here you have after trial and error you have a working speedo and that you will post how you fixed it a lil later with pics.... And I am not seeing a post on how you fixed it and or the pics... Have you posted how and the pics if so can you tell me perhaps where .. Or you can email me at Keigansmomma4102@gmail.com ... Yes this says momma.. Which is my mates email. I would appreciate your help... Please and thank you in advance

Sincerely Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Its been a number of years since I did this swap so my memory is a lil fuzzy. Apologies for not posting pics and for delay in response. But, from what I remember, the AT trans speed sensor has only two wires, power and output, and is made of metal so is grounded by the threats holding itself in the trans. The manual trans has 3 wires, power, ground, and output. I found a ground in the engine bay and found the 5 volts needed to power the sensor from plug B136 pin 15 on the ECU. I then spliced a wire for the output into plug B135 pin 24 on the ECU between the actual output on the speed sensor and where B135 pin 24 goes to the instrument cluster. I forget which colors are which and don't have the car near me to check, but I'm sure you can find by looking at some manual.

Again, I believe the ECUs changed from 03-04 so any of these pins listed will be wrong.

Hope this helps, any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

Archived